Historic brick wall next steps

vitalsFebruary 13, 2014

I'm in the process of remodeling a kitchen in my brick 2-wythe 1880 home. The kitchen has one exterior brick wall and it is currently completely stripped of sheetrock(haphazardly put in along with some foil backed insulation about 10 years ago)

I have carefully read all the NPS briefs and buildingscience and such info online about insulating historic masonry and came to conclusion that I will rather keep this wall uninsulated and focus on air sealing. Mainly because the wall is vulnerable to some leaking and mositure due to ice dams and wind driven rain. I will be addressing those separately, but the point is, the wall is not safe from bulk water.

So I'm thinking of just framing a wall in front of the brick wall and hanging drywall over it. Does that sound reasonable? Do I need any kind of vapor barrier? I'm thinking not, as if there ever any moisture, it will just make it worse. What are the typical steps for finishing a brick wall inside without insulation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Your conclusion differs from that of Building Science Corp. for the US Department of Energy in their 2011 published guidelines on internal insulation of masonry walls. (See particularly page 20 and on.) Spray foam and hybrid spray foam and fibrous insulation perform well, they conclude. If there is some unusual drainage problem, rebuilding the wall the way it was won't do anything to improve it.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:01

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Craftsman tile question
I recently visited a friend who lives in a beautiful...
lalala
House is humming, literally
Hello everyone. I'm a new poster to this forum although...
lola1
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Sponsored Products
Rubber Wood Square Bell Shaped Glass Diffuser Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
New Elegant Hand Knotted 8'x11' Overdyed Gray Persian 100% Wool Area Rug H7218
BH Sun Inc
WAC Euro Step White Track Bullet for Lightolier Track System
Euro Style Lighting
Elegant Home Versailles Double Door Wall Cabinet - ELG-549
$57.41 | Hayneedle
Hinkley Daphne 16" Wide Chrome Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus