has any one tried freezing cream cheese...

Jane in CTJune 8, 2001

and did it turn out okay?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elaineb_78161_yahoo_com

Jane,
I have frozen cream cheese, but when you thaw it out it is grainy(?). You can never get that smooth texture back. I was not happy with the results.

Elaine

Bookmark   June 9, 2001 at 8:20PM
loufamaine_aol_com

Jane, I know when we freeze a large hunk of blue cheese, we always thaw it in the refrigerator - NOT at room temp. You might try this with a block of cream cheese and see how it works.

Bookmark   July 7, 2001 at 11:17AM
SallyP

I freeze cream cheese. The texture certainly changes -- grainy, crumbly. I wouldn't use it for spreading, as on bagels, but I do use it in cooking, as in cheesecake. Once it's thawed and thoroughly mixed with eggs and other ingredients, it seems to work fine.

The slow thaw may make a difference. I haven't tried it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2001 at 9:05PM
mamabirdx5_netzero_net

Thanks!

Bookmark   July 15, 2001 at 4:49PM
busyaussiemom

no slow thaw is the same, grainy, clumpy, but still tastes fine in cheese cake...I'm new here..Hi nice to meet you all :)

Bookmark   July 17, 2001 at 9:26AM
blhvn_nomlpls_com

I freeze cream cheese all the time. As mentioned, it's best used in recipes, but if you let it defrost completely, then beat it well with an electric mixer (at least 5-10 minutes), it will get much smoother and creamier--and I feel it's acceptable as a spread. You could always try freezing half a package--that you bought on sale, of course, then see how it turns out, and whether or not you're satisfied with the results.

Bookmark   August 6, 2001 at 7:20PM
mcmud_lakedalelink_net

I found out that using thawed cream cheese does not work well to make cheeseballs. I made one from thawed cream cheese and to this day the recipe is known as "cheese mass" as it does not hold it's shape. lol

Bookmark   August 7, 2001 at 2:03PM
NKnight

I freeze cream cheese, I find that the Philly brand thaws out crumbly and messy. I found a Crystal Farms brand, I live in colorado and I don't know if it is a local brand or not. Anyway it thaws out creamy without the runny crumblyness and I spread it on bagels. Good luck

Bookmark   August 14, 2001 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
For those of you with food savers
Do you reuse the bags? If so, is there an easy way...
seasyde
crock pot,is that what this is?
I pulled it out, got it as a wedding gift, used it...
KayCee
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™