Gettin' the habit/heating up rice

jamie_mtJune 26, 2001

Okay, I've been doing batch cooking (2x per week) for the last three weeks, and this Sunday I did a whole week's worth of cooking - so I'm at one month! It is *totally* influencing my grocery list for July and nightly schedule...truely amazing how such a little thing can make such a big difference!

I only have one question for now though...how do you heat rice up in the oven without it getting "grainy"? It heats up beautifully in the microwave (I did it all the time at my parent's house), but I don't have a microwave, and last time I made a rice dish for the freezer and heated it up, the rice was kind of "grainy" in texture, if you know what I mean.

Any ideas? Or should I just add the uncooked rice when I put it in the oven after thawing? (It does cook rather well that way...)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamie_mt

Well, it seems I've solved my own problem. Heated up another rice dish last night, but instead of using the glad "ovenware" dish I froze it in, I put it in an aluminum baking dish and made sure to cover it tightly with foil (can't use the ovenware covers in the oven). I also heated it at a higher temp - 400 instead of 350, and it came out tasting like I had just made it - nice texture and all.

Life is good once again. :-)

Bookmark   June 27, 2001 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG_mediaone_net

Good for you.....i was going to tell you to wrap it tightly in foil. Thanks for sharing the outcome.

Bookmark   June 28, 2001 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
In need of Dishes to Freeze
Any suggestions on premade meals that freeze well....
dreamjewl
TV dinner freezer containers
Does anyone know of or have a source for plastic tv...
Mistyme
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
For those of you with food savers
Do you reuse the bags? If so, is there an easy way...
seasyde
Favorite family recipe?
OK lets have your family's favorite recipe.
RuthieG in MA
Sponsored Products
Gettin' Around Rocker Chair
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™