Covering score marks in painted over wallpaper on plaster walls

DiggadooFebruary 3, 2012

I moved into a 1945 Cape Cod. In the entry, living room, and stairwell to the second floor was wallpaper. We scored the whole thing, then put on the gel. It would not come off. We tried vinegar. Nothing. Hot water. Nothing. We rented a steamer. Tried different scrapers. It took 3 people an entire day and some serious hand pain to remove ONE wall. A small wall. They must have used superglue to put it up. We didn't have the time or energy to face the impossible job in the rest of the area, so we painted over it in desperation. I know: sacrilege. Of course, we can see the score marks through the paint. I don't think removal is an option. It was a fool's errand before we painted over it. Can I skim coat over this? Any other suggestions (other than papering over it) for how to hide the score marks? They are on every square inch. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

4 inch razor blade scraper.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 3:22PM
party_music50

yikes. Too bad you scored ALL of those walls. Either way it will be more work for you, so I would choose the smallest wall and lay on a thick primer coat, then repaint and see if that worked to hide the score marks. I'd also consider using a barely-textured paint I could live with that could cover/hide everything. Sorry I can't answer the question about applying a skim coat over it all.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 7:51AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

or this option

Here is a link that might be useful: flexwall

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 4:40AM
More Discussions
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™