Sea Bass cheeks?

OlychickAugust 23, 2014

My fish monger had fresh sustainably harvested sea bass cheeks today, but no suggestions about what to do with them, as it was the first time they've had them available.

I buy fresh halibut cheeks whenever they are available and love them, but I never cook sea bass. She suggested I use as I do the halibut, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions (I usually make fish and chips, or halibut piccata with the halibut cheeks).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

Sorry I don't have an answer except that I can't imagine the cheek of one white fish needs to be treated much differently than that of another white fish, but your question leaves me intrigued. I've heard many people rave about cheeks but I've never eaten any. I kind of assumed they're a prized morsel such as the "oyster" in a chicken but perhaps on an even smaller scale. Am I wrong? Are they something to plan a meal around?

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 11:01PM
Olychick

I love halibut cheeks. They remind me a bit of scallops. Very tender, but in a different way than the body of the halibut. I think they are sweeter, but it could just be the resemblance to scallops that makes me think that. The grain is different than a filet or a steak and they seem moister to me. The best fish and chips, ever!

I have never cooked sea bass, not sure if I've ever eaten it...maybe once in a restaurant, so I wasn't sure if it should be treated differently than halibut, but you are probably right about the similarities.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 12:57AM
foodonastump

Dunno. But you sure make halibut cheeks sound attractive!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 1:07AM
dcarch7

I buy whole fish a lot. I also buy fish heads for fish head recipes. Stop & Shop, and Shoprite sell large salmon heads sometimes, ($1.00 a lb?). So I get to eat fish cheeks often.

I agree, treat them like scallops.

dcarch

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 7:24AM
kitchendetective

I love sea bass. It's delicate, but oily. I have never had cheeks, but would treat them like scallops--only cooked for a shorter time than halibut cheeks. Going on the assumption that the cheeks are more tender than those of halibut, as the flesh is definitely softer than that of halibut. Please report what you decide and how it worked out.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:08AM
mustangs81

Coincidentally I bought grouper cheeks yesterday. What a treat as they sell out within an hour so I was lucky to get the last pound. My cheeks, well my grouper cheeks, are the size of sausage patties.

I rarely batter and fry fish but that's what I do with the cheeks. This time I am making Cheeks Piccata. Because the cheeks are so delectable, I'm leaving out the artichokes and a few of the seasonings.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:16AM
ann_t

I like Halibut Cheeks. Usually just serve them in a brown butter and dill and lemon sauce.

Cheeks are dredged in seasoned flour and sauted in olive oil and butter. Brown some butter in a separate pan, add the juice of a lemon, and fresh chopped dill. Pour over halibut cheeks.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 11:38AM
foodonastump

Wow I had no idea they'd be that big. You guys have got me wanting to scout some out. Sounds so good.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 12:19PM
Olychick

Well, I cooked them and am reporting back, should anyone else ever decide to try them. They were very good, probably so close to halibut cheeks that I'd never be able to tell them apart. They didn't seem quite as sweet as halibut and maybe a bit firmer, but perhaps only side by side would I be able to tell.

I ended up just quickly sauteing them in a bit of oil, with salt and pepper. Then used them in fish tacos...yum!

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
25th Birthday Review
Hi everyone, My 25th birthday was a very special one,...
moonwolf_gw
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Sponsored Products
Queen Koi-Print Duvet Cover 90" x 96" - SEA GREEN (QUEEN)
$565.00 | Horchow
Ferrara 1 Luz Wall Sconce by Bover
$716.00 | Lumens
Bass Credenza by Domitalia
$2,518.56 | Lumens
New Narrow Kazak Runner 2'x6' Hand Knotted Red Wool Rug Shirvan Collection H3702
BH Sun Inc
Bow Brushed Nickel Four-Light Bath Bar w/ 6-Inch Sea Shell Glass
$352.00 | Bellacor
White Dark Sky Outdoor Wall Lantern
$58.90 | Bellacor
Sea Gull Lighting Winnetka 31662-839 9-Light Chandelier - 32 diam. in. - Blacksm
$612.90 | Hayneedle
Wood X-Pane Lantern Set
$84.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™