Home Inspections CT

InfogeekFebruary 13, 2012

I am about to purchase an 1890s farmhouse. It looks to my eye to be in terrific shape, no leaning, no plaster cracking, with upgraded electrical and heat, no horrific disaster updating.

Friends have had so-so to bad experiences with home inspectors missing obvious issues. I am looking for a good, thorough inspector who is knowledgeable about antique homes.

Does anyone here know of any in CT they would recommend?

Thanks! Very glad to find this forum!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonnyp

Screw the inspectors,I have no respect for these dopes. Find a plumber, electrician and builder,have them go thru it. I have experienced, heard and read about horror stories of these guys missing blatantly obvious defects that were not recorded.
The realtors have them by the short hairs, you want more work don't screw up this sale. And if you do use licensed professionals , make sure you get a written report with their license numbers. It may cost a few extra bucks but it is a great bargaining tool and piece of mind.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 7:39PM
flyingtim01

My fiancee and I just purchased an old house (1910) in southern CT. Not sure where in CT you're located, but we used Tiger. Specifically, our inspector was David Townsend, who was very well versed with older homes and provided an *extremely* thorough report with pictures and suggestions. He was quite a bit more in-depth than the contractor we had go through the house before him, in fact. And when the plumber, electrician, septic company, chimney company and well company came in to make the repairs, they all echoed his report findings. Our inspection was at the beginning of January, our closing is at the end of March, and I just had a conversation with him yesterday evening about the well. As you can tell, I have no problem recommending him. With how he has made himself available post-inspection, I haven't found him to be a quickie inspector just banging them out every two hours and giving you a boilerplate inspection report.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 8:45AM
millworkman

If your in the Waterford area or anywhere south east region call Liberty Home Inspection Services.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
lucy132
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
Sponsored Products
Basket Case Containers - Set of 2
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Pima Brown 3 ft. 6
Home Depot
Hunter 12 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan Bowl Light 28594
$77.97 | Home Depot
Zen Frog Fountain
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Soho Grey 3.5 ft. x 5.5 ft.
Home Depot
Augusta Monogrammed Fireplace Screen - LIGHT GOLD
$500.00 | Horchow
Glomar Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor White Incandescent Sconce Light HD-988
$33.99 | Home Depot
White Sandstone Pillow 16" x 24" - WHITE (16X24)
$99.90 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™