Stripping paint from plaster wall

cberhomengardenFebruary 26, 2009

Our house is 75 yrs old and I'm sure there is lead paint under all those layers of paint, so I'm researching ways beyond the usual scrape, scrape, scrape method of removing paint prior to repainting.

I've followed this forum for years and have seen many people use the Peel Away products for stripping layers of paint successfully from woodwork in their old homes.

I'm curious if anyone has tried it on an entire plaster wall?

If not Peel Away, does anyone have any other product suggestions for removing paint from a plaster wall? Or should I just resign myself to the eventual scraping?

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

You can see the answers that the same question generated on this link.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Same question on another forum

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 11:27AM
cberhomengarden

Thanks for the link!

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 2:17PM
brickeyee

Before assuming wall paint contains lead it should really be tested.
While lead oxide was used as a pigment, it fell out of favor a long time ago when titanium oxide replaced it.

Lead Acetate was used for much longer as a hardener and gloss improver. It was not generally used in flat paint, but in the trim paint.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 4:06PM
allison1888

We did an extensive lead test on our house, know where it is all hiding and have used Multi-Strip throughout. It is not cheap, but it is as environmentally safe as you'll probably fine. It basically is a gel like bucket of goop, that you slap on with a brush, wait until it bubbles (2-8 hours, depending on number of layers) and then scrape off with the old paint. Make sure you cover floors carefully-- tape down a few layers of plastic and put newspapers on top to catch the dripping stuff. It is messy, but once you get a system down it's worthwhile. Need to go to a paint store for Multi-strip and it's not cheap. Ask about getting a contractor's discount because you'll be buying so much!!!We get 15 percent off, which adds up.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™