Now For The Real Test

moonwolf_gwAugust 10, 2012

Hi everyone,

This Sunday afternoon, I'll be going to the cast party at my local theatre and have decided to make Pink Lady Cake for the occasion. This time, I'll put strawberries on top of the Cool Whip. I'm thinking of leaving them unhulled/capped. I made the cake today, but it's not frosted yet. I'm waiting until Sunday until I frost the cake.

I haven't decided yet but I might make a batch of my gram's lemonade to take along as well. I have been meaning for them to taste my cooking for a little while. Now I think they'll love me a little even more lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Sounds great, Brad. What's the show?
I am direction the fall play at our Community Theatre....The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie. Wish you were close enough to bake a cake for our cast party!
Linda C

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 11:09PM
moonwolf_gw

Hi Linda C,

The show is "Generations of Broadway", which is a concert featuring several Playhouse cast and crew singing songs of different Broadway musicals. Sunday's the last day of it and the party is afterwards. I am not performing in it and if you heard my singing, you'd know why lol. I am just a volunteer there, doing whatever they ask me to.

I have heard of that play, but I've never seen it. After this production, we'll have two more shows for the season. Moon Over Buffalo is up next then it'll be A Christmas Carol for the holidays.

Would you like the recipe, Linda? I'd be more than happy to share it again :-).

Our local theatre is small, it only houses 77 or so audience members. It's an old church and they've been putting on shows for 30 years.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 11:21PM
lindac

I long to direct Moon Over Buffalo.....it's a great show!...but can't find anyone to do that revolving set.
No need to send the recipe...if I direct the show, I have no time to make a cake!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 11:48PM
moonwolf_gw

I have never seen Moon Over Buffalo. But I will this fall.
As for the recipe, just thought I'd ask! This recipe I shared before and it made everyone's mouth water. Ooh I can't wait until Sunday!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 12:03AM
colleenoz

Hi Brad, to make the strawberries look really speccy, if you like, warm some red jam (strawberry for preference) and thin with a tiny bit of water if it doesn't get runny. Brush the strawberries with a thin layer of warmed jam before placing on top of your cake. They will look really shiny and red and keep better.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 4:32AM
colleenoz

Hi Brad, to make the strawberries look really speccy, if you like, warm some red jam (strawberry for preference) and thin with a tiny bit of water if it doesn't get runny. Brush the strawberries with a thin layer of warmed jam before placing on top of your cake. They will look really shiny and red and keep better.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 4:33AM
foodonastump

I'd rethink leaving the strawberries unhulled/capped. To me that's kind of like leaving the tails on shrimp: IMO if it's meant to be finger food, great. If not, don't make it fussy to eat.

But I'm sure it'll be a hit either way. Have fun!

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 10:10AM
colleenoz

Oh, I like leaving the hulls on, it adds that little touch decoratively IMO, but only if the hulls are fresh and green.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 11:09AM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you, colleenoz and foodonastump!

I think what I'll do is if the caps are fresh and green, I'll leave them on, if not, off they go! I'll have to remember the jam "polish" for the strawberries for future projects :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 11:28AM
moonwolf_gw

Here it is! All set to go! :-) I wonder if I'll bring any leftovers home lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 11:21AM
annie1992

Nope, you won't bring any leftovers home and they will ask you to volunteer all the time now!

I was a volunteer when my girls were in "annie", my job was to keep all the orphans where they were supposed to be. At the end they gve me a tshirt that said "Orphan Goddess" on it, LOL.

It was lots of fun, but no one baked us a cake! We should have aksed you.

Annie

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 12:57PM
pink_warm_mama_1

Brad, I don't need your cake and lemonade to like you. I already do.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 1:14PM
lpinkmountain

I just want to steal one of those strawberries SO BAD! :)

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 1:32PM
moonwolf_gw

Well, I'm back and what a blast it was today! After the show we went out to one of the other volunteer's house and it was just so much fun :D. The verdict on the cake and lemonade: They LOVED it! I do have few slices left, anybody want one? ;)

Annie, I'd be happy to bake a cake for you or any of you folks here on the forum ;).

pink warm mama 1, aww thank you! lol I was joking about them liking me even more. Anytime I spend with them, I feel like I'm with family :).

lpinkmountain, these strawberries came from Wal-Mart, but oh my gosh are they ever good!

Oh and the lemonade recipe I have down to an exact science. For a gallon, it's three lemons and 1 1/2 cups of sugar.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 9:48PM
Cynic

I like you to Brad, but, I won't turn down some cake and lemonade! :D

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 11:32PM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you, cynic! I like you all! :) It's funny, I still have some cake left and I think today's a good day to eat a slice in honor of Julia Child's 100th birthday.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 3:21PM
arley_gw

Annie, talking about Orphan Goddess:

A few years back our community theater did 'Wizard of Oz'. I helped backstage doing odds and ends. We had a couple of women whose job was to keep the Munchkins occupied so they got on stage on time and were not wreaking havoc when they were off stage. How to list these volunteers in the program?

I suggested 'Munchkin Wranglers', and that's how they were referred to in the program.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 6:06PM
lindac

LOL!! Love it Arley!!
I am directing our Community Theaters fall production of Mousetrap...Have directed 9 or 10 productions there....I don't do Munchkins!!...nor orphans LOL!
I directed Amahl in another venue and that about did me in!!

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Weird "guy food" that's actually delicious?
You know what kind of food I mean? Not the kind of...
plllog
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Sponsored Products
Slither Kids Chair in Clear
$59.00 | LexMod
Adele Outdoor Area Rug - 2'7" x 5'
Grandin Road
Cocoon Small Glass Bowl - White - Holmegaard
$38.00 | HORNE
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Table of Elements Multi