Freezing green beans?

Betty HoenstineMay 5, 2001

How do I go about freezing Green Beans? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Betty in Florida

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG_mediaone_net

Hi Betty,

Green beans are pretty easy to do. Just select the best beans you can find, young and tender, you can slice them or leave them whole as you prefer, wash then and remove the ends.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and drop the beans in and
blanch for 3 minutes. Cool promptly in cold water
and drain well. Not necessary but I like to let mine dry a bit and then pack into containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal, label and freeze. If you prefer, freezer bags work just as well and are much cheaper.

Bookmark   May 6, 2001 at 7:05AM
peebody83_hotmail_com

My frozen green beans always tasted kind of funny, even though I properly blanched them, etc. Two years ago, I started preparing them, blanching them, and then freezing them covered in water. Done this way, they taste fresh, like right out of the garden.

Bookmark   May 6, 2001 at 8:43AM
RuthieG_mediaone_net

Candy...I can't wait to try this because I too dislike the freezer green bean taste. It's not bad just different. I usually can my green beans because of the taste so this year I will try the water.

Bookmark   May 7, 2001 at 6:34AM
betty_pig_net

Candy,
Yesterday I cooked a pot of green beans for supper. After they had come to a boil and I let them boil for 3-4 minutes, I scooped out about two cups and put them in ice water for 3 minutes drained them and put them in a plastic bag and added water to cover them and left about an inch of space above. Is this how you do it?
I wanted to try it. I may open them in a week just to see how they turns out.
The other beans we had for supper were delicious.
Betty in Florida

Bookmark   May 7, 2001 at 9:28AM
RuthieG_mediaone_net

That's what I'm going to do to Betty. I hope to get some beans planted and hope to have some for the freezer, so I'm going to do the experiment you describe before I have tons of beans to do.

Bookmark   May 7, 2001 at 10:23AM
kentanddawnmcglinch_woh_rr_com

When I freeze green beans I completly cook them as I would for dinner. I know they say not to overcook veggies. As far as I'm concerned green beans are the exception to the rule. The longer they are cooked the better. This is not a quick cook method.
Fry up some bacon, then add onions to the drippings & cook till the onion changes color. Add bacon and green beans and some water. Cook all day. Then put in freezer containers.
I could eat a couple of pounds of green beans a day!

Bookmark   June 8, 2001 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
nesco roaster
Does anyone have a Nesco Roaster? We've been thinking...
Rae
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
Powder Buttermilk in Bread Maker recipe
I have a lot of recipes for my bread maker....some...
baby_2u
Sauce Freezing Question
Hi all. This may seem like a silly question, but I'd...
pandanoke
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™