Cooking turkey and ham in crock pot

BrendaMay 11, 2001

How long and what do you do to cook a ham and/or turkey in the crockpot? I finally bought one of each and would like to cook them soon for a delicious meal and loads of leftovers.

Advice please!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG_mediaone_net

Brenda, I have never done either one in the crockpot so I can't answer your question. Maybe one of the crockpot sites could provide you with an answer.

Bookmark   May 14, 2001 at 4:59PM
brenda_t_ivillage_com

Well I did the ham yesterday. Smushed it in the crockpot, it fit but barely. Turned it on low at 7 am. At 8 last night we had a scrumptious main course. I added nothing, upon the advice of good old mom. Haven't dealt with the leftovers yet. Anyone have advice on how to make the most from them, as far as boiling the bone and such?

Bookmark   May 15, 2001 at 10:45AM
crane_ncol_net

Brenda: Glad to hear your ham was delicious! Have to try that! I do a Turkey breast in my crock pot all the time. All I do is put in the crock pot in the morning, add some Jane's Crazy MIxed up Salt & leave it all day! The turkey is moist & yummy! Really great way to cook if you are having two meats for a holiday (turk & ham) or your family complains that you don't fix turkey except for holidays!!

Bookmark   May 15, 2001 at 12:45PM
RuthieG_mediaone_net

So you guys are saying that you just put the meat in the pot and do not add any liquid of any kind?

Bookmark   May 15, 2001 at 1:29PM
brenda_t_ivillage_com

I added nothing to the ham. It rather made its own juice. Thanks for the turkey suggestion. I hope it fits in my crockpot. I never heard of the Salt . . . . Do you just do stuffing separately?
REst of the ham is currently sitting in the fridge. Gotta deal with it ASAP.

Bookmark   May 16, 2001 at 12:36PM
meow4x_hotmail_com

Brenda,

Do we label your recipe "Smushed Ham a la Brenda"?

Leftover ham suggestion:

Ham and cheese Omelets

Westerns--omelets with peppers, onions and lotsa chopped up leftover ham. Mix up a mess of eggs and all the rest of the ingredients. Pour into your biggest skillet and cook till set. Yummy!

Pea Soup--if your family likes it!

Cheers! Can't wait to try Smushed Ham.

M>

Bookmark   May 17, 2001 at 9:32AM
brenda_t_ivillage_com

Wonderful suggestions. But the leftovers I was anticipating, well you see, we've been eating them. I'm not sure how much is left on there! But I'm worried, I think I have heard that you should get the meat off the bone as soon as possible. I WILL deal with it tonight. Anyway, next time I do this I will have to get a bigger ham and just learn how to do it in the oven (or micro-convec like Ma) so we don't eat it all before I can get some frozen. It seems like many recipes call for cubes of ham. I saw some in the store packaged as cubes - looked very tempting and convenient but so expensive as compared to just doing a whole one.

Bookmark   May 17, 2001 at 11:01AM
mamabirdx5_netzero_net

I've taken the ham on the bone thrown it in a ziplock and froze it as is. Then when I was ready I'd make Split Pea Soup with the meaty bone and with the extra cup or two of meat I'd make Scalloped Potatoes and Ham.

Bookmark   May 18, 2001 at 7:57AM
brenda_t_ivillage_com

THANKS for that idea, I think I'll go that route as I don't feel the need to fight with it anytime soon. Wahoo! No more dreading that task! (Til later anyway)

Bookmark   May 18, 2001 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
For those of you with food savers
Do you reuse the bags? If so, is there an easy way...
seasyde
Living in a shed
HaHa..I'm not joking...we have moved back to TX from...
RuthieG__TX
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
Sunbeam Cooker Crocker Fryer
I'll be darned, but I can't find the question on the...
HerbaTherapy
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™