foam-like patching found under old wallpaper

civ_IV_fanFebruary 27, 2012

it isn't terribly important, but i'm wondering what the heck this stuff is.

i removed some wallpaper from a wall in my stairwell and found some typical plaster damage underneath. what was atypical were the previous repairs. in one section, an area about the size of a horizontal piece of paper was missing the original plaster. you wouldn't know at first glance, because the area was completely patched.

but as i poked at it, i found that from the surface of the wall all the way to the lath (this stuff was keyed into the lath) was a patching material that was almost like styrofoam. you could stick a fork in it if you wanted to.

any idea what the heck this might be? my plan is to remove it all and fix the plaster properly -- just curious about this oddball material.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They might have used the spray-on expanding foam insulation and smoothed it over to fill the holes, then skim coated or spackled it.

I found shoe box cardboard, glued over the holes in the plaster under several layers of wallpaper.

    Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 9:13PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™