Freezing Milk

Deb-NEMay 15, 2001

Is it really possible to freeze milk? When thawed does it lose some of it's taste? TIA Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG_mediaone_net

Deb you will never be able to tell the difference. I freeze it all the time.

Bookmark   May 15, 2001 at 1:27PM
tckl1_home_com

Ruthie, I read somewhere that you have to empty some of the milk out of the jug before you freeze it. Do you do that?

Bookmark   May 16, 2001 at 12:25PM
RuthieG_mediaone_net

Nope most of the milk I by has plenty of room left at the top. At least I have never had a problem....If you were worried though just pour a bit out into a pitcher or something and then freeze but I don't recall ever doing that.

Bookmark   May 16, 2001 at 2:43PM
tckl1_home_com

Thanks Ruthie.

Bookmark   May 16, 2001 at 5:03PM
clifftown_prodigy_net

How long is it good for in the freezer?? We go through so much milk. I owuld love to stock up when it is on sale.
Thanks

Bookmark   September 1, 2001 at 10:16PM
dixon_cox-internet_com

I freeze milk -- particularly right before leaving town for a period of time. I then defrost it in the refrigerator and shake it up well. I can't tell any difference.

Bookmark   September 10, 2001 at 11:04PM
bryle_amitysworld_com

I have frozen a few gallons before and hubby swears he can taste the difference and does not like it.

Cath

Bookmark   September 13, 2001 at 12:05AM
culpeper_bigpond_com

You can freeze milk for around 2-3 months. If it contains a lot of cream, it is important when defrosted to give it a good shake to reassimilate the fatty bits with the watery bits. Once that's done, you can't detect a taste difference. I freeze mine in the cartons and plastic bottles they come in, and I use No Fat milk now, but have also frozen full-cream milk, skim milk etc. Friend of mine with allergy problems freezes her soy milk successfully. No problems for either of us. Annette

Bookmark   September 18, 2001 at 6:58PM
Shelby_Elsa

I am going on a 5 day trip to the Bahamas where soy milk isn't readily available for my toddler...does it really taste the same after thawing? I was wondering what I was going to do...I wasn't sure if it could be frozen or not.

Shelby

Bookmark   May 6, 2002 at 10:24PM
smore93

How do you thaw? It is taking DAYS for it to thaw in the refrig.. thus taking away the benefit of extra refrig space (which was half my goal as well as being able to buy ahead on milk).
I am freezing in gallon jug with some taken out. Do I need smaller containers?

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 8:40AM
grammahony

I freeze milk a lot. I can't tell the difference when thawed. I do pour a glass out before I freeze it to make room for it to expand. I just let it thaw on the counter for a few hours. I like to buy it on sale, like now, it is 10 for $10.00. Mom will take 5 and and I'll take five.
Leslie

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 11:15AM
jquentzel

We freeze all our milk at home. I do not open it first to empty it at all. I always have an open container in the refrig and one waiting to be opened in the refrig. The rest are in the freezer. When I open the second refrig container I take one out of the freezer. I leave it out in the sink for 12 hours. Then I put it in the refrig (still partially frozen) and it is perfect by the time I have finished the other open one.

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 12:00PM
pyclee

All the messages about freezing milk is probably concerning fresh pasteurised milk, because it doesn't keep for months.

But does anyone have experience or knowledge about freezing in-use UHT milk please? (Normally nobody needs to freeze UHT milk as it can keep unopened for 6 months, even at room temperatures). But I have 2 litres of UHT milk, opened & in-use but we cannot finish all of it before we go away on a trip for 10 days; and we hate to waste food. I am unsure that the opened UHT milk would keep for 10 days in our fridge, without going off; so we wondered if freezing it could be a good idea. Or if anyone knows whether freezing UHT milk would change the taste badly?

Any pearls of wisdom gratefully received, Thanks.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 2:49PM
ric_in_nc

How do you thaw? It is taking DAYS for it to thaw in the refrig.. thus taking away the benefit of extra refrig space (which was half my goal as well as being able to buy ahead on milk).
I am freezing in gallon jug with some taken out. Do I need smaller containers?

Gallon jugs will take much longer to thaw.

I freeze water in a gallon jug and place in cooler for camping. Same physics as Block Ice.
It usually lasts all wk-end and provides drinking water as it melts.

Try a smaller jug. Also, placing in the door shelf will help it thaw faster.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Pre-making big batches of my own cornbread mix
I make cornbread a lot and haven't found any pre-done...
levander404
Bread Maker Recipes?
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and think it's really...
Mary
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
TV dinner freezer containers
Does anyone know of or have a source for plastic tv...
Mistyme
No Peek Stew
I saw this a while back and forgot to copy it. Can...
rosieclown
Sponsored Products
Aniston Milk White Glass Table Lamp
$99.00 | Bellacor
Steamed Milk Lido Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Allied Precision 5 Quart Heated Pet Bowl - ALLIEDPRSB50
$79.99 | Hayneedle
2030/2031 Semi Flush Mount
Lightology
no. 9 Outdoor Sofa - Loll Designs
$1,090.00 | HORNE