old wood floor's need help!

reeree_naturalFebruary 24, 2008

Would any of you know how to fix wood flooring that has split on the outer edges and left Âchunks of missing wood in-between the wood planks? I have tried wood fill and stain, but it doesnÂt last. May be there is a better product?

We had our floors refinished a few years back, the floor guy shouldnÂt of sanded them down they way he did, it is more like a veneer now, so there is no strength to the wood. ( 120 years old) We would rip them up but we are planning to sell in a few months and want to try to fix the "bad spots" Have any of you ever experienced this? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Ree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesbodell

If there as thin as you say, you may not be able to "pass it off" to a new owner and may have to fix properly, not patch it, it before you sell. Wood filler or patching will only point out the problem.

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 10:26AM
reeree_natural

wianno
To do a full rip out and install a new floor would be very costly . We would never re-coup that money and would be a gift to the new owners..so I can't even entertain that. We were going to rip them out a few years back and do wide heart pine boards..never got to it as we did so much reno's as it is. The floor area is very large and that same flooring is the same in three rooms that kind of go into one another.. I guess I will call a floor expert and see if he can offer any help (to fix it)
Thanks!

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 6:08PM
mom2lilenj

If there are just a few boards you could take them out and replace with new or if you have another place in the house that has the same wood but not in a noticable area (closet, under stairs, attic). It's a delicate process, but it can be done. Then you could sand down the new piece, stain it to match and finish.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 5:46PM
reeree_natural

mom2lilenj
That is a great idea! I never thought of that..thanks!
Yes, it's just in a few spots. I was very up set back when the guy sanded them way too much. We had every plan to rip them. Now we are going to put the house on the market in a few months and have to do something.. Thanks once again, I appreciate it very much!
Ree

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Sponsored Products
5-3/4" Tile Square - Polished Chrome
Signature Hardware
Chip L Floor Lamp
Lightology
Elko Credenza Bamboo - Eastvold Furniture
$3,522.00 | HORNE
Mattiazzi | Medici Chair
YLiving.com
Luminescent Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - BEIGE
$1,629.00 | Horchow
Rialto Line Voltage PAR30 Track Head by WAC Lighting
$108.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Cozy Solid Silver Shag Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
32 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™