odd flooring question

elsmerianFebruary 3, 2010

I have a house that was built in the 1920s, and it has gone through a number of modifications over the years, and while I've been poking around attempting to determine the original layout I've come across a few things that are just inexplicable to me.

For instance, has anyone heard of a case where the hardwood floor runs clean under an interior wall so that it pokes out the other side? From all the design and construction books from the 1920s that IÂve read, it seems like when there is an interior wall the top flooring (though not necessarily the sub floor) tends to stop where the plaster of that wall begins and then picks up again on the other side  so that there is a gap in the flooring that is the same thickness of the wall. This always made sense to me, which is why I find it baffling that the flooring would stretch completely under the wall -- unless that wall was constructed over a pre-existing floor. However, I donÂt know how this is possible since that is the wall the main staircase is affixed to. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonnyp

At the time your house was built, at least in this neck of the woods, the last thing to go in was hard wood flooring. This minimized the damage to the floor. There are a ton of reasons this condition exists.Subsequent owners didn't like lay out, house originally built like this, closet, who knows.
Sometimes its better to except things and not wonder. I have learned one thing over the years, there are pros, so-so pros,homeowners and hacks (the later 2 are sometimes the same category).
As far as the stair case,there are also other means to support a staircase other than a partition.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 10:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

From your description, the hardwood floor on the first floor was installed before the interior wall, and the staircase. To my knowledge, this is not a structural defect. It does not weaken the structure, nor does it impede the installation of wiring and plumbing. Its easy enough to drill through the wooden flooring, as necessary. Why this was done is anybody's guess. It could have been a schedule snafu-the flooring people showed up on time, and for some reason the interior framing was not yet installed. The flooring crew did not know exactly where the interior wall was going to be located, so they went ahead and covered the entire first floor, as if it was one grand room.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™