What's your next meal?

neesieApril 21, 2008

For heaven's sake, I shouldn't be posting on the once a week cooking forum since I can barely keep one foot in front of the other!

My question is, what are you cooking next? I made a large dish of Chicken Fried Rice yesterday (I'm pretty generous with the chicken and consider it a main meal). Judging by my families schedule today I'm just going to let them finish the CFR off and supplement with sandwiches, if need be.

Tonight I am going to things prepped to go in the crock pot for tomorrow. I'm making Cantonese Crock Pot Dinner. I made a note to myself to take the pork strips out of the freezer and set them in the fridge to thaw overnight. I am also going to chop the onion and slice the green pepper so it is ready in the morning. It is so easy to assemble. I got the recipe with my first crock pot 27 years ago.

Cantonese Dinner in the Crock Pot

1 1/2 lbs pork steak cut into 1/2 inch strips

2 T. oil

1 large onion, sliced

1 green pepper, cut into strips

1 4 oz can mushrooms, drained

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar

2 teaspoons Worchstershire sauce

Brown pork strips in oil in skillet to remove excess fat (I usually do enough for 3 or 4 meals and freeze)

Drain on double paper towel.

Place pork strips and all remaining ingredients into crock pot. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3 hours. Serve over hot, fluffy rice. Serves 4.

Personally I have been known to let this cook as long as 10 hours and it's still okay. If I think it's going to go that long I may put the pork strips in frozen. I serve this about once a month. As long as I do the prep ahead of time it only takes minutes to assemble in the morning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neesie

I will be soaking split peas in anticipation of making Split Pea Soup in the crock pot tomorrow. I will also peel some carrots and a potatoe tonight to make things real simple in the morning. I already have the chopped onion. Must chop some celery too! I have to remember to take the freezer baggie of cubed ham out of the freezer. I am getting low on the left-over ham from Easter. I have one bag that I'm reserving for the Mother's Day Brunch I am hosting (ham & augratans in addition to regular breakfast fare).

The last Split Pea recipe I made in the crock pot was too thin. We like ours thick.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 5:14PM
jen_easydinners

I ALWAYS double up on any meats that I am cooking...C.O.S.T. cooking is the key. Cook Once, Serve Twice (at least:)

I will be doing up a big batch of Ground Beef, flavored with Homemade Gourmet's Taco Soup seasoning. I will tacos one meal (I lay out toppings and the kids pick soft or hard shell and what they want in it.) Then I will use left over seasoned ground beef for taco soup....mmmm....my kids very favorite. I also put aside some of the meat for taco dip which is a staple in our house (if meat is gone we make it vegetarian). Sour cream (or cottage cheese if I am trying to be healthy), black beans, salsa, shredded cheese, green peppers, tomatoes, and taco soup seasoning....oh, all the kids love it and it's a great way to get the raw veggies in.
We literally have this 3-4 times a week as our late snack...with many times it turning into dinner. :)
blessings on the journey,
Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Family Dinners

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 4:14PM
neesie

I haven't made tacos in such a long time! What a great idea; I'll certainly be putting those items on my shopping list. Everyone in my house loves tacos and the late night taco dip is a great idea also. Guess I got so hooked on making everything in my crock pot I that I forgot about tacos!

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
TV dinner freezer containers
Does anyone know of or have a source for plastic tv...
Mistyme
nesco roaster
Does anyone have a Nesco Roaster? We've been thinking...
Rae
Powder Buttermilk in Bread Maker recipe
I have a lot of recipes for my bread maker....some...
baby_2u
Rachael Ray week in a day-Hungarian shepherds pie
I think I got my answer from looking at the posts above,...
norwega
Sponsored Products
Madison Rain Catcher
Signature Hardware
Nantucket Tall Tapered Planter
Grandin Road
Fredrick Ramond Hamlet 16" High Vintage Bronze Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Solar Chameleon Gazing Ball
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Minatare Gray 4' Round
$70.97 | Home Depot