What else can you do with pot roast?

jennApril 10, 2001

Hi,

I've been reading this thread and am very interested. However, one of the problems I have found is that we eat low-carb, and it seems that when anything is used for more than one meal, it ends up over rice, noodles, or potatoes, which are off-limits.

I am cooking a large pot roast. Other than having left-overs, does anyone have any ideas for a second meal? We can eat any vegetable other than potatoes, and try to stay away from starches.

Thanks for any ideas,

Jenn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG_mediaone_net

I love to use it to stir fry with a few onion and pepper strips and any veggies (just use good low carb veggies) and then throw strips of the roast beef in it or just onion and green pepper eat it like fajitas or I toss it in a frying pan with onion , garlic, and a little salsa.....I always serve mine with tortillas but it wouldn't be necessary.

Bookmark   April 10, 2001 at 1:16PM
blhvn_nomailpls_com

How about julienning the cold beef and adding to wonderful fresh greens for a salad? (or maybe a salad of shredded beef, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, mozzarella with some Italian dressing?) Beef, tomatoes and onions in an omlette?

Try using spaghetti squash in place of the noodles and rice in some recipes. Or just use assorted veg rather than the starch generally called for.

Bookmark   April 10, 2001 at 3:42PM
lidagal_ccia_com

We always had Pot Roast on Sunday, beef stew on Monday!!

Bookmark   April 15, 2001 at 4:19PM
lawson30_hotmail_com

Slice thin and use for philly cheese sandwiches. Also, I put BBQ sauce over leftover roast that I have chipped up. I serve that as a main meat or put on a bun for a sandwich.

Bookmark   April 17, 2001 at 4:03PM
royalaire_raven-villages_net

Make a cold beef salad (not unlike chicken or tuna salad). Add diced celery, dill (not sweet)relish. Even a hard boiled egg and some provolone cheese. I would coarsely grind it all together then add real Mayo. Horseradish would give it a little zip, or maybe oregano for a different taste. Finally,do a Lettuce wrap out of it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2001 at 11:39PM
maz_angel_gateway_net

Hash. My grandma always made hash and I loved it. You need a meat grinder or food processor, and i just use leftover fried potatoes. mmmmmmmm, its very good. Run the beef through the meat grinder, mix with the potatoes in the food processor, and fry. I'm old fashioned i guess, lol.. I also like to use leftover pot roast for beef and noodles. Just add more broth to your drippings, thicken a bit, get some home made or frozen egg noodles and WALA. Very good stuff. Especially if you add a bit of red wine to the beef broth mixture.

Bookmark   April 22, 2001 at 3:19AM
cintronella_yahoo_com

Just eat it till it runs out. Or quit buying such big a$$ roasts. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 22, 2001 at 8:29PM
den_ron_gte_net

Shred it up for taco filling.

Bookmark   April 23, 2001 at 11:56AM
hero_custom_net

It makes the best vegetable soup that you ever ate. Use the whole thing gravy and all. I add canned beef broth, and the veggies that we like. I also add a can of crushed tomatoes. I shredd the beef and cut up any vegables that are large. I made one yesterday in my pressure cooler and tomorrow it will be soup. Try it, it is great!!

Bookmark   April 28, 2001 at 12:21AM
Terrapots

The only other low carb concoction I can think of in addition to some of the above is cut it up and add it to your favorite low carb soup with more vegs if you want or slice it up and prepare it like a chicken divan with cheese, broccoli or whatever in the oven. Using it in quesadillas, open faced, also might work but tortillas are carbs, so there you go again. Stir frying with low carb veggies was my first thought. You don't need rice or noodles. If you add bean sprouts, you won't even miss the noodles.

Bookmark   January 4, 2003 at 11:27PM
tomato_girl

Throw chunks in the famous Weight Watchers "Dump Soup." This a delicious low-calorie fat free soup.
Do Not Drain!
1 can white corn
1 can Progresso Minestone soup
1 can chili beans
1 can VegAll
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tsp Mrs.Dash seasoning.

Bookmark   February 4, 2003 at 9:49AM
igarvin

I love making soup(well, more like stew bc I like less liquid) because even if I have a lot left over, it freezes very well.

1 qt of beef stock
2 cups or more of veggies of your choice (softened when necessary - usually onions, celery, green beans and sugar snap peas)
1 bay leaf
usually a pound or more of pot roast

love making stir-fry and lettuce wraps too - how about chimichurri sauce? Kayln's Kitchen has a good recipe, great low-carb condiment!

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 6:52PM
igarvin

I also forgot 15oz can of petite diced tomatoes for the stew/soup

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese?
Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows if you can successfully...
lmsorkin
For those of you with food savers
Do you reuse the bags? If so, is there an easy way...
seasyde
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™