Quick question re using a Foodsaver to seal WM mason jars

housekeepingFebruary 7, 2006

Hello,

Am I correct in understanding that at least some brands of vacuum sealers permit sealing of wide mouth canning jars with the ordinary metal lid with rubber gasket that is used in conventional canning? (I realize vacuum sealing is not a substitute for processing or freezing.) But I always thought you had to use the vacuum sealers manufacturer's expensive (a couple of bucks a piece) cap for each jar. But I think I was reading that you can use regular mason jar lids (new ones of course).

And is my impression that vacuum-sealed frozen items suffer less freezer burn and other delterious freezing effects?

Thanks for your answers!

Molly~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Hi Molly - I'm on my 3rd FoodSaver (used them for nearly 20 years now) and all of the models I've had have the wide-mouth jar sealer (my first FoodSaver had both regular and wide-mouth) and will seal Kerr/Ball lids to wide-mouthed canning jars. Models of FoodSavers that don't come with a jar sealer can be purchased separately.

The trick to using it successfully (according to manufacturer directions), you need to place the lids in warm water to soften the rubber seal - dry the lids and use. I've used the same lids over and over - just as long as the rubber hasn't gotten brittle and won't seal anymore, reuse is just fine.

I keep my large hoard of grains/beans/seeds/grains/pasta in canning jars.

Freezer burn is a textural change that happens when moisture evaporates from the surface of a frozen food. When you vacuum seal food you remove all the air and seal the contents in an air-tight bag or a jar. This automatically prevents the moisture from evaporating because it has no where to go. Without vacuum sealing foods, there isn't another type of wrap or bag that will prevent freezer burn.

Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: FoodSaver

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 3:29PM
housekeeping

Grainlady,

Thank you so much for your answer! Would you care to recommend a model of Foodsaver? I am a big home canner and freezer, if that would enter in to your suggestions. Thanks for your help. It sounds like a neat way to preserve things.

Molly~

Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 3:30PM
grainlady_ks

I can't really recommend a certain model because every one of mine have been different and they are constantly changing them, but all worked essentially the same. What I look for:

1. You can use both sizes of bags (8- & 11-inch).
2. Has a jar sealer.

I've had a model that held the roll of bags inside and two that didn't. I actually preferred the bags outside to inside. It seemed like it didn't matter which size bag you had in the machine, it was always the wrong one for your needs.

I really like the canisters. I used to be able to get them at Wal-Mart, but they don't carry them anymore. The canisters are wonderful for fresh greens - helps keep them fresh much longer. Canisters or jars are a must for things that will stick together if vacuum-sealed in a plastic bag. I purchased a HUGE bag of chocolate chips at Sam's Club many years ago and vacuum-sealed them in user-friendly size bags. Little did I know they would clump together - duh!!!

You will find you use it all the time if you have it out and available, not put away. I have a large kitchen rack and I keep a pretty basket with all the bags and the hose and jar attachment, as well as a Sharpie (for marking the bags contents) and a pair of sissors - right there with the FoodSaver. I use it many times a day.

I have my #4 FoodSaver in storage (I got it dirt-cheap at Tuesday Mornings 2 years ago) and it's completely different from the one I'm now using.

Grainlady

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Preparing meals to freeze
Hello I make a lot of meals and freeze them. My daughter...
alexandra_falcon
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
crock pot,is that what this is?
I pulled it out, got it as a wedding gift, used it...
KayCee
Make-ahead pancakes??????
There have long been frozen, microwavable pancakes...
bizzybee
Bread Maker Recipes?
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and think it's really...
Mary
Sponsored Products
Sonneman | Otto Single Sconce
$210.00 | YLighting
New Ivory & Red Floral Oriental 8' 6" X 10' 6" Hand Knotted Kazak Rug H3389
BH Sun Inc
Resort Stripe Blue Outdoor Bolster Pillow
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Wine Bottle Holder Cat Waiter Wine Caddy
Overstock.com
Emerald Home Crystal Ridge Dining Arm Chairs - Set of 2 - EMER578
$399.99 | Hayneedle