chopped salad timesaver

dahlia6February 22, 2011

My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method to be a time saver. I chop a huge amount of veggies fine and store them in a tea towel, not plastic, in the refrig. This mixture will keep well for 3-4 days and you can just pop a handful in a bowl and add cheese, tomato, cuke, hard boiled eggs or whatever you have on hand. I am partial to cabbage, radish, onion, carrot, broccoli etc. My salads many times do not contain lettuce unless Romaine is on sale.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Thanks for this tip! I might try this on a small scale as the time consuming chopping of vegetables is the main reason I don't make very many salads for just me. With warmer weather approaching, I want to eat more main dish salads with lots of vegetables and some meat, chicken or seafood on top.

To you set the tea towel full of vegetables in a plate or on a small tray to catch any moisture given off by the vegetables?

Teresa

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 8:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

I keep diced cucumbers, onions, red, yellow and orange bell peppers in the refrigerator all summer long for quick salads. I keep them in separate glass containers that have the locking lids. They'll stay good for almost a week. I agree that dicing them all at the same time make the meal prep throughout the week go so much more quickly.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Make-ahead pancakes??????
There have long been frozen, microwavable pancakes...
bizzybee
Bread Maker Recipes?
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and think it's really...
Mary
TV dinner freezer containers
Does anyone know of or have a source for plastic tv...
Mistyme
Crock pot vs. electric roaster
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between...
Gema
Pre-making big batches of my own cornbread mix
I make cornbread a lot and haven't found any pre-done...
levander404
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™