Vacuum Sealer recommendations, please

marie26February 15, 2005

I have a very old vacuum sealer that I don't use as often as I should. One of the reasons is that I need to hold it down until the all the air is taken out and sometimes it works well and other times not as well.

Are there newer models that you don't have to press down on them to get the air out?

Which models do you recommend?

What about the vacuum sealed containers that come with some of the models? How do these work? Must you buy these containers only from the vacuum sealer's company?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol_in_california

I have the Tilia Foodsaver but an inexpensive model. I do have to hold down the tab until it is sealed but it is not a problem. Perhaps the more expensive models have a feature so you don't have to hold it down. I did get the canisters thru Tilia and they are well worth the money. I have kept salad greens fresh for over two weeks. I also have the wide mouth sealer for canning jars and like that feature, too.
I had another Tilia Foodsaver that I had for many years and it eventually lost its ability to vacuum seal and then I broke the tip off the tubing I used on the canisters so I got rid of it. Then found out I really missed the convenience so bought another one.
I keep my Foodsaver on the counter and I use it several times a day. It is great when you find bargains at the market and have a freezer.
I have also sealed my sterling silverware in the bags to prevent tarnish....does a great job.

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 9:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisbet

I heartily endorse what "Carol in California" says about the Tilia Food Saver!! It is a wonderful appliance.

I have an old "pro" model, which has given good service through several years now. I do have to press down to get the vacuum started, but once it starts I can let go and it finishes on its own....I do not have to keep holding down to complete the vacuuming process.

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
Powder Buttermilk in Bread Maker recipe
I have a lot of recipes for my bread maker....some...
baby_2u
In need of Dishes to Freeze
Any suggestions on premade meals that freeze well....
dreamjewl
Pre-making big batches of my own cornbread mix
I make cornbread a lot and haven't found any pre-done...
levander404
Do I have to refrigerate Kosher Dill Pickles!!?
I purchased from Walmart last night a large jar of...
nita1950
Sponsored Products
Midtown Raymond Ivory and White Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$644.00 | Bellacor
Original Karastan Empress Kirman Area Rug - 00700 00719 R104
Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Equinox Grey and Brown 5
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Tayse Rugs Rugs Capri Blue 8 ft. 10 in. x
Home Depot
Pebblebrook Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - SILVER
$159.00 | Horchow