ham recipes needed

SherrylfFebruary 26, 2002

Hi,

I just bought a really big ham (really good sale) and I'm wondering if anyone has any tired and true freezer recipes or we'll be eating baked ham for a week.

Thanks

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wanda1101

It's good stirred into macaroni and cheese with a few sauteed onions and such - then bake. We also freeze small packages of thickly sliced for dinner or breakfast, and thinly sliced for sandwiches at a later date. Just put in ziplocks and remove ALL the air.

My favorite has to be a Potato, Onion & Ham au Gratin, but without cheese. Saute 4 large (yes,4) thinly sliced onions in butter. Thinly slice 6-8 peeled potatos. Put 1/2 the thinly slice potatos in a shallow dish that has been sprayed with pam - cover the bottom like a crust. Layer 1/2 the onions on top; then thinly sliced, or diced, ham; sprinkle with salt and pepper (to taste) and sprinkle with a very small amount of nutmeg; top with the rest of the sauteed onions. Top with the remaining potatos (I make sure I have enough to totally cover, like another crust). Making sure you wet all the potato surfaces, pour 1 1/2 cups heavy cream over the top and sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Bake uncovered at 375 for approximately 1 1/2 hours basting occasionally with an additional 1/2 c. or so of cream (You'll use no more than 2 cups total). It will be done when the potatos start turing a golden brown.

Quite simple when using a processor or vegie slicer to do all the cutting and really very good. Careful not to over do the nutmeg and really the onions are not overpowering. My daughter HATES onions and likes this dish. I've also been known to put spinach in the middle with the onions - just thaw and squeeze all the moisture out.) I think I cut the recipe out years ago from a Williams Sonoma cookbook advertisement.

Bookmark   February 27, 2002 at 9:07AM
adellabedella_usa

I always buy a big ham when it's on sale, cut it into smaller meal size portions for about two meals worth and freeze in ziplock. I thaw and bake as is or include in casseroles later. I've never tried to actually pre-make anything.

One of my favorite recipes is what I call scalloped ham and potatoes. I don't have set amounts. The only ingrediants are sliced potatoes, cubed ham or small pieces of sliced ham, and 1 or 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. I slice enough potatoes to fill a 9"x13" cake pan about half way and then I add the ham (probably about a pound worth, but you can add more or less.) Stir together with the potatoes and one or two cans of the soup (just use enough soup to coat the potatoes). The soup can be thinned with a small amount of water if desired. Cover and bake in a regular oven or microwave until the potatoes are done. If the soup is too runny, bake it longer. Stir one or two times while baking. For seasoning, you can add a little pepper if desired. Ham and the cream of mushroom soup usually contain a lot of salt so I don't add any extra.

Bookmark   February 27, 2002 at 11:19AM
MaryF

I like to grind some and freeze and then pull out whatever amount I want to make ham salad. My family loves it for lunch sandwiches.

Bookmark   February 27, 2002 at 1:24PM
Lori_MN

I like to make this with ham:

Myrna's Vermacelli

8 oz box vermacelli
1 cup minute rice
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cans french onion soup
cubed left over ham (1 pound or more to taste and appetites)
1-2 bunches of green onions - sliced (green part too)

Melt butter or margarine in a large fry pan ( I use my electric frypan - A non stick wok works too) Break vermacelli into 2-3 inch lengths and brown in butter with the rice until golden (like rice-a-roni). Stir often and watch it because it will burn.

Add the soup, 2 cans of water and the ham. Cover and cook over low heat until the noodles are tender and the water is absorbed - about 10 minutes or so. Just before serving stir in the sliced onions.

This makes a bunch and is a huge favorite at our house.

Bookmark   March 15, 2002 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
For those of you with food savers
Do you reuse the bags? If so, is there an easy way...
seasyde
In need of Dishes to Freeze
Any suggestions on premade meals that freeze well....
dreamjewl
Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese?
Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows if you can successfully...
lmsorkin
nesco roaster
Does anyone have a Nesco Roaster? We've been thinking...
Rae
Rachael Ray week in a day-Hungarian shepherds pie
I think I got my answer from looking at the posts above,...
norwega
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group POR-8671 - Montana 1 Light Wall Sconce - Square with Flat R
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Milan Curio Cabinet - Wenge - MILAN-W-CURIO
Hayneedle
Ivory & Blue Cotton-Blend Rug
$9.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Ikat Beige/Brown 9 ft. x 12 ft.
Home Depot
Wolf Sleep Accents Renewal Full-size Mattress and Foundation Set
Overstock.com
WAC Lighting | Sonoma dwelLED 12in Bath Light
$158.50 | YLighting
Yalta Wire Baskets - Set of 3
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Hinkley Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Low Voltage Matte Bronze 12-Watt Brass Vertic
$50.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™