Saving squash

alisonJanuary 31, 2005

Had to pass along my recent discovery.

Bought a couple of average-to-small acorn squash about 10 days ago. Cut them in half, gutted them, then mixed up flavored butters for each. A couple with butter/brown sugar/mace, a couple with butter/dill, a couple with thmye and cumin. Put a small pat of the the butter in the center, sealed each half individually, took them to work and tossed them in the fridge.

They're great! I open the bag, take out the butter and put the squash face down on a plate with about a tablespoon or so of water. Nuke it on high for 4-5 minutes, then dump the water, put the squash face up and let them butter melt in the cavity.

They're just about snack size, and I pick based on whether I want a sweet or savory snack. Plus I'm getting a lot more of my beta carotene needs than usual.

Not exactly cook ahead -- altho' the one I nuked this morning was just as good as the one I had 10 days ago -- but a convenient, cheap and healthy pre-packaged snack to have at work!

I wonder how it would work if I froze the package after sealing it? Probably wouldn't do anything to the texture of the squash and I could keep them indefinitely. Altho' it's not like acorn squash are ever particularly expensive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yellowhair

Sounds great! I'll have to try these.

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
nesco roaster
Does anyone have a Nesco Roaster? We've been thinking...
Rae
Rachael Ray week in a day-Hungarian shepherds pie
I think I got my answer from looking at the posts above,...
norwega
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™