sketchy pickles?

rmahoneyvtAugust 17, 2014

New to canning and made dill pickles yesterday. varied from the recipe like and idiot and did 2 cups water to one 5% white vinegar then boiled for the recomended time. Have looked at other recipes and some seem variable in this regard. Any thoughts on if I should chuck them or are they ok? Is there a way to open a jar and test them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail

Safe guidelines say 1 to 1 water to vinegar is the limit of safety. Many safe pickle recipes are all vinegar. More info can be gotten from the Harvest forum.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 5:53AM
grainlady_ks

1. Call or visit your County Extension Office (aka Cooperative Extension Service - usually associated with a State University) for up-to-date canning information and personal help.

2. Take the free self-study coarse "Preserving Food At Home" found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation (link below).

3. The first rule of home canning is, with only a few exceptions, don't alter or make up a canning recipe. Without scientific testing, you will not know how long the product needs to be processed to be safe, what the pH level was....etc. Follow TESTED recipes found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation or the Ball Blue Book (the only commercial publication that follows the USDA standards) to ensure safety and success.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: NCFHFP

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 12:57PM
alex9179

Are you in the time frame to re-do them? That's what I would do...or refrigerate and eat pickles like crazy ;)

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 4:00PM
rmahoneyvt

thanks for all the helpful responses. I did fridge them and tried them a few days later. wasnt all that impressed with the outcome because of the spice blend i used so i may still ditch them.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
What happened? Scientifically speaking...
Well, I'm hoping there may be someone here to give...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
THANK-YOU Tamara! And all the good gremlins too...
For awhile now, I've been seeing the artifacts of the...
plllog
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™