Transom windows with opening storms?

a_posse_ad_esseJanuary 22, 2010

Hi,

I am designing a solarium for an old stone house and we want to install opening transoms w/ storms over the windows. Has anyone figured out a way to open the storm windows from the inside (without opening the transoms too) in order to let out condensation in the winter?

I am guessing there has to be some kind of hinge system that could work?

We are having the windows custom made so we could put in whatever hardware we want. Surely there is some way of doing this?

We also have to replace all the *new* windows in the stone house with period windows and are trying to figure out what wood to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Use an outward-opening awning window (hinged at the top with a inside crank actuator) for the transom window, then install your storm pane on the inside. You'll be able to crank the awning window open from inside whenever you want, and no need to go outside to switch the storm for the screen, which I assume you will want.
I have seen period advertisements for an actuator for shutters that had a crank handle on the interior window frame, and would open and close shutters. Never seen one in real life.
A metal arm attached to the bottom of the exterior storm and running through a guide slot at the bottom of the fram, with a thumbscrew or catch to keep it open would be the home-shop remedy for your specific question. I just saw the awning windows as being the more efficient solution.
Casey

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 10:19AM
a_posse_ad_esse

Thanks! Our carpenter is going to mock up a sample for us to play with.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 5:24PM
bulldinkie

i have storms and screens,theres 2 clips one on each side of window or screen.Thetyre framed out like the windows witbh about a 3"frame.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 9:21PM
bulldinkie

On mine theres the transom its about 1 ft deep,the screen is framed like a window,From the outside you put in place,pull clip down on inside 1 on each side of frame,in winter we remove screen frame put glass one in attatches same way.

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
civ_IV_fan
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™