GPS Question

samkarenFebruary 18, 2013

I am going to Walmart this week to buy a GPS system. They have different brands and I was wondering if you could recommend a good brand to buy. Mine has to have voice recognition/activation.

Thanks
SamKaren
your resident DJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marie_ndcal

Can you go to Amazon? Cheaper? We use Garmin in the car along with our OnStar system. You can also get hand held units at Staples. You might check them out and then check both Amazon and Tiger.com for price. Not sure if AAA has anything. Just my thoughts

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 1:51PM
jel48

I like our Garmin. We have a Tom Tom in the truck and I don't care for it as well.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 1:54PM
jannie

My car was bought used, it came with a Garmin. I like it a lot, even when I don't need the voice prompts (If I'm familiar with the area) I keep it on "Map".

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:08PM
monica_pa

Garmin...none better.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:19PM
heather_on

I really like my Garmin.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:20PM
Toni S

my I phone does a better job than any other GPS forms I've used. The app came on my phone when I bought it.. I think. Pretty sure!
Do you use an I phone?
or an I pad?

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:39PM
mare_wbpa

I have a Garmin. Everyone I know who has a GPS also have Garmins. I haven't heard of any complaints. I really like mine. I don't know what you mean by voice activation/recognition. I'm pretty sure that all units have verbal prompts by the unit as a standard feature. If you mean that you want it to operate by your voice command, that's something I haven't heard of. I'm not an expert and, technology is flying, so that feature might be available, I'm just unaware of it,

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:39PM
two25acres

My phone has navigation as well and it is all voice command if I chose.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:47PM
mare_wbpa

I thought about the Iphone GPS feature after I posted. I don't have a smart phone, my niece does, and I know that you can speak your desired destination into the phone.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:57PM
LuAnn_in_PA

I would never get anything other than a Garmin, if I was wanting something besides the iPhone.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 4:38PM
jewels_ks

Garmin for me too..we are on our second one. I did not plan on buying a new one, but went into Best Buy and saw one on clearance that I could not pass up. It also came with free map updates. If you don't get the free map updates, you will be surprised at how much they cost.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 4:44PM
pammyfay

Garmin, too, for me.
Also, don't get too picky about the screen size -- IMO, no reason for it to be bigger, rather than smaller.

I agree with Marie -- compare Amazon's prices, too. I got mine from Amazon (with a couple other items, so shipping was free). It has a good return/exchange policy, too.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 6:14PM
Georgysmom

My son has rented a lot of cars and had the opportunity to use many different GPS systems. He said the Garmin is the most user friendly. I have a friend whose husband is even more frugal than mine. He did much checking around and wound up with the Tom Tom. All I know is she never uses it....doesn't like it. Still goes to map quest. Some times saving money is not a savings!

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 7:06PM
dedtired

SamKaren, be sure you get one with lifetime maps or they will charge you every time you update the maps. I like Garmin, too.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:28PM
samkaren

well I've decided...Garmin it is....thank you so much for all the input. Now I won't be as nervous when I decide to venture off.

SamKaren
your resident DJ

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 9:29PM
susanjf_gw

did a quick serch on amazon..

btw do you hace costco or sams?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/182-5537727-9194350?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=garmin+gps

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 9:49PM
katlan

Garmin here also. We have 4 of them! Bought one for each of our kids for Christmas one year, it was such a good deal I got us one also. Then DH bought one off ebay, exactly like ours, used, and put it on his motorcycle. Works great.

I highly recommend Garmin. Also agree, get the lifetime map updates because the North American map costs $49.99!

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 10:24PM
iowagirl2006

If you are wanting the voice activated one - make sure you look for that. They do not all do that. Those models are more $$$, but if that is important to you - then search for that also.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
5 word game
Start with a word and from that word create 5 new words...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Cat with arthritis? Problems moving.
Hi, I posted this on Pets too but I don't know how...
chi83
caseynfld
Some comedy for "Call the Midwife" fans (and others!)
Call the Midwife Comic Relief Sketch
Alisande
Sponsored Products
Vinotemp Epicureanist Bamboo & Slate Cheese Serving Tray - EP-BBSLTRY
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Otis Bed Liberty 8 in. Futon Mattress - 11LB9
$129.99 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Media Cabinet - 57000TV3-51
Great Furniture Deal
Joy of Decorating
Ballard Designs
Otis Bed Deluxe Medium Support Foam Mattress - Twin - 11H 92
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Abetta Flex Sublime Super Cushion Trail Saddle - 20500F6BK
$454.29 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia Rectangular Dining Table - 72002-55
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Excelsior Home Office Desk with Credenza Base -...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™