Need some cabinet advice

jengeorgesonFebruary 4, 2014

I'm trying to make a decision on how much of my cabinets I should stain. Most of my cabinets will be painted a warm white with light distressing and glaze. My hood and island will definitely be stained a dark hazelnut color. I'm trying to decide if I should also stain the desk to the far right and the area to the left of the fridge. I've used a pencil to color it in both ways and will attach both pictures (I don't know how to attach two pics so will do two separate posts). Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jengeorgeson

Here's the other option.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:38AM
OOTM_Mom

I prefer the first option, just the hood and island. In the second version, it kinda makes me think the desk and other end were an afterthought.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 4:05AM
aktillery9

I would definitely only stain the island and hood. I think in the end and over time you will be glad you did. It is simple and classic. Your kitchen looks like it will be fabulous!

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 5:16AM
martinkk333

I also like the first choice of just the island and hood. The kitchen looks fabulous, but the picture with both ends stained dark seems to visually limit the space. It looks much more open and spacious with the lighter color on the ends.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 7:24AM
jengeorgeson

Thank you!! Everyone is confirming what I've been leaning towards. Sounds like just the hood and island is definitely the way to go. You're opinions help so much!

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:54AM
live_wire_oak

Are you set on the layout? There's a more efficient kitchen to be had from the space, with a more functional island and better division of zones. If you have a measured layout of the space, it will make suggestions easier to illustrate.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:20AM
sjhockeyfan325

I would agree that you should only stain the hood and the island. It looks too chopped up in the second picture.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:33AM
CEFreeman

I am far from a cabinet designer, but it looks like you have a bunch of small cabinets (width-wise) where you could eliminate some of the visual clutter and have more space by having some larger pieces.

Particularly where you have what looks like a 12" wide upper, and some of the skinnier drawer cabinets. I can tell you a 12" is drawer cab is good for holding pot holders. Ok, giant utensils thrown into the 2nd drawer, and paper bags in the bottom.

but I could be wayyyyyy wrong! (See what Live_Wire_Oak has to say, too, simply because the "eye" is there! )

You have a fantastic amount of space! and how lovely the cabinets sound. I look forward to seeing your finished space!

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
Have white marble counter on copper sink?
I am putting a white marble countertop on an undermounted...
sandmtn
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
Sponsored Products
Modella Bronze Double Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
Corona Chrome Nine-Light 20-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
Bellacor
Westport Spring Outdoor Lounge Chair with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Carlton Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Drum Shape Grid Series Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle