What is the name of that wood-like, non-vinyl siding???

sarahandbrayJanuary 31, 2009

We would love to get new siding (finances permitting!) in the next few years. My husband is fine with vinyl. I really would prefer to take off this 1950's mans-first-aluminum-siding and see if we can salvage the old wood siding that's been covered over, along with the neat little scalloping around the bottom of the second floor. But practically, I know that might be tough. There's a reason they covered over it with aluminum, I'm assuming. Plus the previous owner had insulation blown in, which has left dozens of little circular holes around the house.

Anyway, is there a compromise? A material that looks more like wood but doesn't have to be painted all the time? We do not have tons of money, as we are both teachers, but we're the kind of people that want to do the job right the first time and not have to worry about it later. I thought I remember someone talking about some type of composite siding--I'm sure it's wicked expensive, since that Trex stuff is--and this house is 3100sf on the main two levels...not including the full attic...so I think it's going to be pricey no matter what we do.

Here's the house before it was sided:

Here it is now:

Any thoughts?

Sarah from Albany, NY

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sacto_diane

Are you thinking about Hardiboard type of siding? It's "wood" siding made based on cement. Some companies sell it with wood graining stamped on the boards. There are also shingle siding available made of the same material.

It's more weather resistant than wood and mimics the original look of wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: James Hardi

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahandbray

Maybe that's it...in a town near where I live, they have VERY strict zoning. I remember last year when they wanted to build one of those mega-pharmacies, the cute little town went haywire. CVS promised to make it look nice with this special kind of siding--and it does look good. I felt it and it does have wood-grain but is matte in finish and feels like thick composite.

-sarah

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™