carpeting stairs

mikendJanuary 31, 2009

We are thinking of replacing the carpeting on our stairs and upstairs landing. I am assuming there was not carpet on the stairs and landing originally- in our 1920s Tudor revival (with some Craftsman elements), however we prefer to keep it carpeted. The carpet that is there now is a bit old (15+) and looking a bit tattered in spots.

Any ideas on what we should be looking for in terms of style and durability to be relatively consistent with a 1920's house?

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahandbray

How would you feel about a wide runner? You can get padding (I think? I really don't know much about rugs) to make it softer and a litte more plush. Our back stairs are painted white with a Oriental-style runner going down it and I LOVE the look. Ours is pretty cheap carpet (I think it's that cut-to-length stuff from Lowes/HD) and was here from the previous owners, but I think when I get the money to rip it out, I'll do a similar style. And I feel better about my kids going up and down than having just the wood.

Anyway, may not have been the answer you're looking for--I don't really know what kind of carpeting is period for a 20's home other than a runner or nothing. I'd be curious to see as well!

:)
Sarah from Albany, NY

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™