carpeting stairs

mikendJanuary 31, 2009

We are thinking of replacing the carpeting on our stairs and upstairs landing. I am assuming there was not carpet on the stairs and landing originally- in our 1920s Tudor revival (with some Craftsman elements), however we prefer to keep it carpeted. The carpet that is there now is a bit old (15+) and looking a bit tattered in spots.

Any ideas on what we should be looking for in terms of style and durability to be relatively consistent with a 1920's house?

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahandbray

How would you feel about a wide runner? You can get padding (I think? I really don't know much about rugs) to make it softer and a litte more plush. Our back stairs are painted white with a Oriental-style runner going down it and I LOVE the look. Ours is pretty cheap carpet (I think it's that cut-to-length stuff from Lowes/HD) and was here from the previous owners, but I think when I get the money to rip it out, I'll do a similar style. And I feel better about my kids going up and down than having just the wood.

Anyway, may not have been the answer you're looking for--I don't really know what kind of carpeting is period for a 20's home other than a runner or nothing. I'd be curious to see as well!

:)
Sarah from Albany, NY

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
civ_IV_fan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™