Samsung Radianz Quartz vs Silestone Quarz

happsFebruary 14, 2014

I visited a local countertop fabrication shop that offered to sell me what I needed size wise using one slab of Silestone Mont Blanc (Group 2) or for $500 less, I could get everything I need size wise to fit using a remnant piece (that didn't have much removed from it) of Samsung Radianz Aleutian White. This remnant piece was recently acquired by the shop and it still has the plastic peel over it. They also had a full slab of Radianz Aleutian White and Everest White. How do fabrication shops acquire full unused slabs for their remnant area?

How does the quality of Samsung Radianz compare to Silestone? Is there much difference price-wise between them for a regular slab?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

" How do fabrication shops acquire full unused slabs for their remnant area?"

Fabricators who work for big box stores have to buy all the sheets needed for each job. So if they have a 2 1/2 sheet job they have to buy 3 sheets. If they get another 2 1/2 sheet job in the same color, they must buy 3 more sheets, not just the 2 they need.

Unlike some solid surface distributors, quartz suppliers don't sell half sheets usually. Since they haven't invented a quartz stretcher, you've got to buy what you've got to buy to get the job done.

"How does the quality of Samsung Radianz compare to Silestone?"
All quartz is made with the Breton process; it's all the same stuff.

"Is there much difference price-wise between them for a regular slab?"

Consumer prices are dictated by how badly a fabricator wants to turn estone leaning in a rack into cash.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 8:21AM
happs

So the only difference then is marketing and the perception of the location where it was manufactured? In that case, it seems like the $500 savings would be beneficial since the brand name won't be apparent to the eye of me or a future buyer on the slab.

It's still puzzling how this fabricator had a couple of full unused quartz slabs in his remnant yard. The fabricator said and the back of the slabs had a sticker from a major regional chain of tile stores. Hope they aren't defective.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 10:01AM
happs

Actually, Samsung does not use the Breton process, but it probably doesn't make much difference.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:24PM
oldryder

I am a fabricator.

There are a number of ways a fabricator can have a full or near full slab in their remnant inventory. How it got there is irrelevant to the end user as long as it's not a "2nd".

Remnants are a great way for fabricators to provide extra value to customers.

re: 1/2 slabs; 3 of the 6 quartz suppliers I use regularly provide 1/2 slabs on request. However, this might be a local market dynamic where suppliers had to follow the lead of the 1st one to do it since it can make a large difference in the price of a job if one brand supplies 1/2 slabs and a competitive brand does not.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 1:19PM
Trebruchet

happs:

It doesn't make much difference. Samsung's quartz machines are Korean clones of the Italian originals.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
New build Kitchen – layout for this space?
So, hi! Popping out of lurk mode because I’d really...
am_e
1880s house kitchen: need to work in the current space
Note this is cross-posted at suggestion of a reader Plans...
islandgarden
Do upper super Susan shelves obstruct view?
The 42" tall upper corner cabinet was drilled...
tea4all
Copper sink for kitchen remodel?
Does anyone know of a really good quality copper sink...
kathy6421
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
Sponsored Products
Car Adapter for Photo Cube Printer
$30.00 | FRONTGATE
Samsung Galaxy III Power Case
$69.95 | FRONTGATE
Samsung Galaxy Dual Dock Expansion Handset
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
WerkMaster Buffers & Polishers Scarab Countertop Polisher 001-0124-00
Home Depot
Dual Dock Samsung Galaxy & Dect Cordless Station
$199.00 | FRONTGATE