Might Buy This House, Looking For Opinions
We might buy this house and I don't know whether we should or not. I'm trying to not think with my heart which is in love with it.
It's an italianate Victorian. It was built in the 1880s. The inside is nice other than the sloppy paint job, including the stairs unfortunately, and the fact that almost every room has dropped ceiling tiles, which idk why because the ceilings are still really tall. Like probably 12 feet or more. Also it has a very unfortunate (IMO) kitchen remodel, that was supposed to be a plus as it is all new custom maple cabinets, but they are tiny, and there is about 4 feet from the top of them to the ceiling. They also, when doing this, covered over the Butler's pantry which I pray is all still there.
The home has 3-4 bedrooms, 3 baths, all new plumbing, wiring, roof, and central heat/air and each story has its own. It has a garage that will hold four cars plus a carriage house. It has a full basement that is concrete floors and brick. The house is brick. The carriage house has a heated/cooled workshop/studio that we can use for our business.
We already know one repair we need done. The porch was set on blocks instead of poured concrete, and it settled. This has made the porch very slightly askew. To lift it, pour footings and repair where it caused a couple pillers to rot out I had estimated and they said $3500-$5000 at most, a couple days work, and not an emergency so can be done this spring or summer.
We own our home 3 hours away but want to move. I hate this town. We have been here 20 years and are still "out of towners". Our town has a population of 800 and little to offer unfortunately. We just recently sold out our business which was a very painful thing to do after fifteen years.
This new town is like 8,000.
They started off at $185,000, over a year ago, and are down to $142,000. Because of the porch we offered $118,000 and this is accepted. However, they piddled around and didn't accept it til over a month after our offer expired, so we are under no real obligation. We have enough to buy it outright.
Is this a good deal? We will use the workspace to make furniture and paint, refinish antiques etc. I'm also an RN.
But I'm afraid I will move and what if it's horrible there. Everyone seems nice but you never know.