Quick Help Please!

party_music50August 14, 2012

My BF bought BBQ sauce and added it to the pork before tasting. It's absolutely AWFUL! He didn't notice the "natural hickory smoked flavor" ingredient. :( It's NOT natural. It's disgusting.

Is there anything we can add to cover/mask/improve that artificial "smoke" flavor???!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathleenca

If you can handle the hot meat, you could take it off the heat, rinse it well with warm water & start cooking it again.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 8:59PM
annie1992

My only thought would be to plop the meat in a colander, drain off the sauce, then put it back and cover it with a different/better sauce.

As mentioned, you could rinse it, and hope the sauce adds enough flavor.

Annie

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 9:42PM
lindac

I hate HATE anything with added smoke flavor.....smoke flavor comes from smoke! Period!
I would rinse the meat....perhaps make a mix of 2/3 chicken broth and 1/3 cider vinegar.....and rinse off the nasty stuff, then sauce it with a "good" sauce or perhaps with equal parts of catsup, maple syrup and vinegar.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 12:09AM
publickman

I think pretty much all BBQ sauce is horrible, as most of it is sickeningly sweet. If I were to use a bought sauce, I would buy chili sauce instead or enchilada sauce. Added flavor in BBQ should come from the rub and the natural smoke, not the sauce. I frequently use Cajun seasoning for a rub and make my own seasoning mix. I used it last week-end on the chicken breasts that we smoked.

Lars

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Question for Grainlady or other good bakers
My daughter-in-law has recently developed gluten intolerance--she...
laceyvail
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™