Can you answer?

rabbit8November 25, 2002

If you purchased a car for your spouse ( car insurance ) and two weeks later they left for no reason, how can you protect yourself from getting bad credit. If the purchaser is going over seas (military enlistment). What steps should you take to insure that your credit doesn't get messed up. How can you keep up as to if they are making timely payments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I had this situation once and actually had the car repossessed from under him. He wasn't making payments and the car was in MY name so it was my right. I guess if you didn't want to that though you'd have to hire a lawyer or somehow convince your hubby to change ownership of the car into his name. Whatever you do do it BEFORE he goes overseas. Once he's gone it's going to be REALLY hard to fix the problem and to top it all off he'll probably take the car with him.
One other thing I just thought of but it's important. I used to be military and I know that they are pretty strict about these situations. Just make an appt to see his commanding officer and I'm sure that the problem will be fixed REAL fast. The military doesn't tolerate this stuff from it's enlisted members. He might even be threatned with revoking his overseas assignment if he doesn't solve the problem.

Good luck!!!!

    Bookmark   November 27, 2002 at 4:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think it's rabbit8 that might be going overseas, not the spouse with the car.

Try asking this over on - lots of knowledgeable folks there. Go to the He Said...She Said link.

Here is a link that might be useful: DOL

    Bookmark   November 27, 2002 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Get legal advice about the situation. Get a second legal opinion and advice if you have doubts about the first one or want a confirmation.

in general go out of your way to act in a way which is above board, documented, and in a way which is well within the limits of the law

P.S. Other than that the short answer is probably 'it depends' but a lawyer, in person can give you advice about how to protect yourself and what lengths you can go to in order to monitor relevant information.

    Bookmark   November 27, 2002 at 5:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I used to work in automobile finance, and I can assure you that this happens more often than you might think. First, contact the bank. Even if your ex wants to put the car in his name only, the bank will have to agree to release you from the lien. This rarely happens, because it's in the best interest for the bank to keep open as many avenues for collection as possible. In other words, if you're easy to locate and have an income, the bank will want to keep you on the loan so that they can garnish your wages if they ever have to repo the car. If you don't live in a community property state, try to get a stipulation on the divorce decree that says that your ex is solely responsible for the car. Even though the negative rating from the repo would probably still be attached to your credit, at least you could use the divorce decree if you apply for a home or auto loan within the next 7 years. (That's how long negative items stay on your credit.)

Good luck!

    Bookmark   January 1, 2003 at 7:16PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Getting a little help from your spouse
Well, the holidays are here and as usual, I'm worn...
Marriage lacks intimacy - I'm lonely, hurt and frustrated
Hi, I am really grateful for finding this forum. I...
Wife cheated Entire Marriage, do I stay? - Help
I found out after 4 years dating and 10 years of marriage...
Is It a Spouse's Responsibility?
My husband's relationship with some of his siblings...
Husband treats me like crap! How do i stop it?
My Husband and I have been married for almost 5 years....
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Table Lamp: Luna 25 in. Incandescent Table Lamp CLI-DF49553690
Home Depot
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Nella 3-Light Polished Chrome Horizontal
Home Depot
Portofino Ceiling Light
$139.00 | Bellacor
Mini Round Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Topaz Brown Crystal and
$300.00 | Bellacor
Aqua Coffee Reversible Down-Alternative Comforter
$24.99 | zulily
Mora Leather Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Iron Spider Modern Designer Chandeliers
WallsNeedLove Teardrops Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP77-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™