Unlacquered brass light fixtures

AprilM119January 16, 2014

Hello,
I am renovating a 1921 craftsman home and have been researching light fixtures and door hardware. I see from most of the old catalogs that fixtures were often satin/brushed brass or lemon brass (which I am guessing means polished.)

I would like the light fixtures, door knob sets/hinges and switch plates to all have the same finish.

Does anyone know how long it might take for a patina to develop on unlaquered polished brass light fixtures? Obviously they won't be touched regularly, like a door knob might be. I can find styles of everything that I like in unlacquered polished brass. I'm just feeling a little hesitant about how bright that polished brass might be.

I would do brushed brass and can find great light fixtures and switch plates but can't seem to find a good door set in brushed/satin brass. I am thinking of something like this:
http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/putman-interior

What if I did the light fixtures and switch plates in brushed brass and door hardware in polished brass? Would that look bad? I've seen polished and brushed nickel mixed in a bathroom and don't care for it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

And there are metal refinishing shops that can create almost any finish you are looking for.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 2:58PM
Trebruchet

If it doesn't look bad to you, it's fine. Metal finishes are reversible.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:25PM
chucksmom

I think you're over-thinking the whole thing. While brass will age at different rates, that's part of the charm of an old house. My doorknobs age differently than my hinges just because they are touched more often. I never even thought it was an "issue" until your post. It's the original hardware and has aged as such (although I have polished the doorknobs a bit through the years.)

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:09PM
sombreuil_mongrel

IMO lemon brass is a very yellow-color alloy, to distinguish from ones with a redder tone (more copper vs. zinc) . IOW it would then have nothing to do with the finish/polish.
Unlacquered brass will oxidize steadily, but depending on atmospheric conditions it will take from 1-10 years to turn completely brown.
My 1884 exterior door plate and knobs dulled brown in a year, but for the inner ones it took three; One seldom-handled bedroom knob is still very bright after 5 years. All of these I polished myself with jewelers rouge on a polishing wheel.
Casey

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 9:43AM
lalala

This place has a ton of different brass finishes.
http://www.classic-brass.com/main.asp?page=1705

This one also has "antique brass" as a finish option.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about matching light fixtures and door knobs exactly if you do them all in unlacquered brass.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Craftsman tile question
I recently visited a friend who lives in a beautiful...
lalala
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
lucy132
Sponsored Products
Jonathan Adler Parker 22 1/4" High Brass Sconce
Lamps Plus
Green Matters Ceiling Mounted Lighting 3-Light Old Bronze Flush Mount Light
Home Depot
Straight Monorail by Tech Lighting
$49.60 | Lumens
Progress Lighting P2884-09 Torino Four-Light Brushed Nickel Bath Light With Etch
Progress Lighting
Warehouse Forest Green 20-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$232.95 | Bellacor
Lite Source Torrance Polished Steel Torchiere Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Capital Lighting Loft Traditional Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Justice Design Group GLA-8911 - Capellini 1 Light Wall Sconce - Square Flared Sh
$290.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™