Who here has a stainless backsplash beind the range?

jgoppFebruary 24, 2014

I am planning on putting in this limestone stacked stone backsplash to the 10ft ceiling behind the range/range hood but I'm worried that it would be a serious pain to clean. So I've been checking around on doing a stainless steel backsplash from the range to the hood. Found a couple nice ones with warming racks/spice rack (adjustable). Easy to clean, functional, etc.

Who has it? Who loves it? Who hates it? An FYI is that the sun shines directly toward the range after about 6pm. Was a little worried about it getting super bright and annoying while cooking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakuvall

I have one with VAH folding shelves and am very happy. Cannot speak to the light issue.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:50AM
jgopp

Could you post a pic?

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 2:27PM
jakuvall

Here's one

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 4:37PM
feisty68

They look nice. I wouldn't put spices anywhere where they would get hot/warm.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 4:59PM
Errant_gw

I'm planning on doing stacked stone, too and was worried about this.

My concern isn't with the cooktop area, since mine is on a peninsula, but I was trying to figure out what to do behind the sink. I have a 36" stainless farmhouse sink in front of a window that's the same width, but about 8" up from the sink. I was going to put granite backlash in that section instead of the stacked stone. Now I'm wondering if stainless to match the sink would work, as well.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 5:07PM
marymac91

I bought the Ancona range hood and stainless backsplash from costco.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:33PM
jakuvall

Feisty - spices? Think you may have the wrong idea or thread, shelves are for keeping food warm, heat lamps above. Nothing to do with spices.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:45PM
bobhood

What is the make/model of your backsplash - that has the "warming shelves?"

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:51PM
meganmca

I have the DCS one, it's awesome. Comes with fixed shelves. They are fantastic. Thing itself is easy to clean. Shelves are great for putting mise-en-place (chopped stuff) on, and then finished dishes stay warm, and/or plates like jakuval said. And after dinner, it's extra space to dry pots & pans on (small kitchen!).

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:58PM
oldbat2be

10 foot ceiling. Hairball, ack, ack!! (She coughs jealously)

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:59PM
oldbat2be

Our cooktop is pulled forward 6" and I don't think I've ever 'cleaned' the backsplash. The 30" inch countertops are so very useful. (Another option!)

Can work with dough easily with my canisters in place:

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 9:14PM
jgopp

oldbat, do you ever cook bacon?? haha.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 1:08AM
peony4

I have a stainless steel BS that I ordered with my Thermador 36 range. It's been as easy to clean as any other BS--I just clean it with my regular stainless steel appliance cleaning. There is no glare from light--mine gets afternoon sun, and it doesn't glare any more than another SS appliance would because it's a matte finish.

I'd like to add a warming shelf to mine like jakuvall posted above. They do not seem for function, I don't think--those shelves seem to be a knockoff of what a restaurant would use to keep plates warm. I don't really see a practical use for them in a home kitchen (unless I want to impress my dinner guests with really warm plates?). They are too far away from the heat source to keep a food dish warm, and I would not keep my oils and spices in direct line of my venting. But if anyone has one, and uses it for a purpose, let me know.

Aside from the lack of function, I do like the looks of a warming shelf to break up the expanse of SS on the BS. You can find this type of shelf on most range manufacturers' Web sites in their accessories list. They're called various names... warming shelves, keep-hot shelf, etc.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 3:32AM
jakuvall

" if anyone has one, and uses it for a purpose, let me know...
They're called various names... warming shelves, keep-hot shelf, etc."

Name says it -heat lamps a foot above in hood, use em daily: egg sandwich ready before I am, chicken cutlets while making pan sauce, resting meat, veggies when main dish takes longer than expected, just warming serving dish or two...nothing impressive.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 6:00AM
peony4

Thanks, Jakuvall. I'll need to see about an aftermarket heat lamp, then, if I'm going to invest in the warming shelf.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:05AM
jgopp

Thanks for the replies. It's something I may want to do, but am still on the fence about. I don't want to make it look too cold.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
Found a granite Pergaminho, is this the same as Delicatus or Alaskan ?
I've been searching for a durable island countertop...
happyallison
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™