Cabinet Size for 36" Shaw Apron Sink

quiltgirlFebruary 28, 2013

Can the 36" Shaw Apron Front Sink sit in a 36" cabinet or does it need to be bigger?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GWlolo

Ask what your cabinet maker recommends. It depends on how they plan to support it and scribe the sink front.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 2:41AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Generally Belfast sinks are installed with a margin of sink base cabinet faceframe remaining exposed up along the sides of the bowl. Something on the order of a 39" base would accomplish this given that the outside dimension of the sink is 36".
Casey

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 10:32AM
ILoveRed

Mine is in a 36" sink base but from what I understand from one of the KDs here (can't remember which one), it should have been in a larger base.

Although it works, if the sink ever had to be changed it would be a bear compared to the scenario of it having a larger sink base.

Put it in a larger sink base...just to be safe.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 11:21AM
ILoveRed

Terrible picture, taken with my ipad but you get the idea.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 11:26AM
quiltgirl

I cannot go 39" base so will have to re think this sink once again. And just when I had struggled through the decision process and decided on the 36" Shaw. . . . .darn!

Red lover, I think your sink looks fine in a 36" cabinet. Do you feel it is a problem for any other reason other than replacement? Perhaps I could leave a 1/2" of frame on each side.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 12:50PM
quiltgirl

Okay, I am going with the 36" Shaw Original Farmhouse Sink and putting it into a 36" cabinet like the one in this picture. I like the looks of it "sitting on a board" rather than scribed into the cabinet face. Will have skirt underneath rather than doors. (I think.)

Traditional Kitchen design by Boston Kitchen And Bath Dalia Kitchen Design

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 5:27PM
ILoveRed

Quilt girl--that's really beautiful.

No, my setup works fine even if you wanted to go the scribed route. But, I guess I became concerned a few weeks ago when I read on here that the granite/countertop would have to be removed to change out the sink if the sink ever needed to be replaced. But, with a larger sink base that was not the case. The sink could be easily replaced from underneath without removing the countertop.

Too late for my kitchen, but thought I might save you a little trouble by mentioning it. Hopefully, the sink in my kitchen will last forever.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Left/Right/Center & Related Hand & Faucet Questions
I've searched & read countless threads here over...
Carrie B
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™