Backfiring

kentuck_8bSeptember 22, 2010

I have a Honda Shadow 1100cc that the battery went bad/dead on me a while back.

It was three weeks before I got a new one put in, but having set up for that time, now the engine backfires when I let off the gas, such as slowing down to come to a stop. It runs great and doesn't miss out while accelerating or running at a constant speed, just backfires when decelerating.

Is there anything that I can put in the gas to correct this, or anything else that I can do besides bringing the bike in to a dealer?

Thanks.

Kt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Umm....without knowing the cause, don't know why you would consider a gas additive. It's a machine. Things change. Things go wrong and come out of adjustment. For myself, I like a good-running machine. I'd do the dealer thing and make it right.

It isn't the battery situation. Something else has happened. Bet it's small and easy to diagnose for an experienced tech. Maybe even cheap. Wouldn't hurt to ask dealer about it and decide after receiving the answer.

Go a nice ride, there. Make it right would be my suggestion.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 8:15PM
kentuck_8b

Thanks, Asolo. I just thought it was carburator gum-up or something similar, since it sat for a few weeks while the battery was down. It ran perfectly before that.

Kt

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 11:39AM
jemdandy

Usually, the cause for backfiring on closing the throttle is caused by the mixture going lean, not so lean it won't fire, but lean enough to retard burning and is still burning when the exhaust valve opens. In this case, it should also backfire on a downshift used to slow the bike.

You did not say what year of bike. My experience ends with carbureators. I did not own a bike with electronic engine management and that is a different can of worms.

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 3:50AM
More Discussions
Will a Harley slow me down?
Not much activity on this forum, but I figured I would...
ya_think
first time on highway....scared!
ok, just to give a quick introduction. I am originally...
ninja250
Old time scramblers
Is anyone out here that used to ride in the northeast...
greentfinger
extremely annoying squeal on 1992 c1500!
My 1992 c1500 recently developed a squeal which over...
countryshane
Mustang rides
I had three of these bikes in high school,from a Pony...
john_hyatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™