Are you OLD enough?

grittymittsSeptember 14, 2006

Anyone here old enough to remember the Indian Papoose?

In the late '40's, I had one since I wasn't big enough to hold up the big bikes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pianojuggler

Ummmm.... In a word... no.

My first bike was a 1962 Motobecane 50. It was made the same year I was.

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 9:40AM
montesa_vr

Nope, I'm just a baby boomer, but I remember when "Then Came Bronson"'s Sportster used to morph into a Hodaka over jumps.

I remember when Popular Science questioned whether the CB750 Honda was too much motorcycle for most riders.

I remember when Petersen Publications bought Motorcyclist magazine and replaced the staff with the guys from Motorcycle Sport Quarterly.

I remember Bob Braverman and "The Golden Age of Onions."

I still have the first issue of Dirt Bike magazine.

I remember when Bengt Aberg dominated motocross on his Husqvara 400 Cross.

I remember kicking my older brother's '64 Honda 250 Scrambler until I was ready to puke and riding it around the section on a freezing October night.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 6:04PM
fpda31

I had a Bridgestone "Dual Twin 175" Sort of redundant, but that is what it was called. It had the amazingly stupid rotary shift transmission that one more click up from 5th netted you 1st again which was not a good thing at highway speeds. It was a twin cylinder 2-stroke with rotary valves, dual carbs, and oil injection. Anyways, it was a late 60's early 70's bike, but it was different if nothing else.

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 10:17PM
cushmanrider

Unfortunately I am OLD enough. I had a 1949 Indian Papoose in 1951. This was a 98cc 2cycle scooter that was a rebadged english scooter, the Welbilt Corgi by Brockhouse Engineering.
The Corgi was a postwar civilian version of a scooter used by british paratroopers and parachuted inside a metal container. Brockhouse also built Enfield motorcycles and when Brockhouse became a major stockholder of Indian Motorcycles they introduced the Corgi to the US market as the Indian Papoose. I am including a link to a Papoose ad, I hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 9:10AM
asolo

Old enough to remember racers Gary Nixon and Cal Rayborn in their prime. Drag racer Leo Payne from Cedar Rapids Iowa was using his garage-modified sporters to drop eveyone in sight -- including the customized Triumph and BSA doubles from the west coast. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" buzz-line was getting 1/2 the teenagers in the country onto Honda 50's. Tommy James and the Shondells sang about it. About Triumphs, BSA's, and Harleys they used to say: "If it isn't leaking oil, shut it off -- there's none in it."

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 3:29PM
cushmanrider

I found some pictures of a couple of Indian Papooses (Papoosi?)

These were single speed, later they offered 2 speed transmissions. A kick starter was an option, the bare bones model required you to push it at a run and pop the clutch. The English version Corgi offered a side car, not for a passenger but for the Mrs. when she rode to the market.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 8:01PM
tippsy3

i have a scooter that was made in england it has the brockhouse name on it with a date of 1925..I am trying to find out info on it...i don't know if that is when it was mad. it also has Excelsior Spryr written on the side.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 11:03AM
grittymitts

Thanks a lot for posting the photos, cushmanrider!

My kids and grand kids will get a kick out of trying to picture this ol' G'ma riding one.

Suzi

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 10:08AM
jemdandy

I'm old enough to remember these:

1. 1940 Henderson, 4 cy.

2. Whizzer motorbike

2. Topper

3. Harley-Davison 125 cc amd 250 cc Aeramachi (sp?)

4. Honda 90 cc

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 1:51AM
greentfinger

Guess I'm not a youngster here. My first bike was a 1947 Indian Chief bought secondhand in 1951. Then came a 1952 Indian TT Warrior 500 cc. One of the first vertical twins impoted. It was made by the British firm Royal Enfield. Then a 1964 BSA 500 cc Iron Single, B33. Started riding competition with a BSA Goldstar 500 and a Matchless
600cc single for hillclimbs. That bike had bottom end torque second to none. Last bike was a Yamaha 750cc Virago. A V twin and all around good bike. Now I have only memories of past times, all enjoyable. I met many friends Etc. on a bike. Yeah, we were a bit different from the 4 door Chevy/Ford/Plymouth milkshake guys but we had respect for each other and at times we knew the limits of our bikes and ourselves but not too often.

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 11:35AM
C4MR1CH

Wow, I still have the old motorcycle left behind by my grandfather that is collecting dust and mold in the garage.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
first time on highway....scared!
ok, just to give a quick introduction. I am originally...
ninja250
scooters and brick streets
I'm in a new town with lots of old brick streets. Many...
mgeca
Riding a Scooter
After years of waiting, I am now retired and ready...
mgeca
Cold weather riding gear
Hi all! 20 years ago or so I had my motorcycle jacket...
cfmuehling
Will a Harley slow me down?
Not much activity on this forum, but I figured I would...
ya_think
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™