Copper deck railing system

tridogdudeDecember 15, 2013

Patio deck on our home was 4"x4" wood posts (painted) and drilled for cable rail system. We bought the house with this existing railing. The biggest hassle was the maintenance on it since there are a total of 25 posts that need painted and scraping to refinish. Try scraping and painting around cables on just one post and you will see what I mean.

Anyway, after much thought last winter, I came up with my own design and started fabricating a new railing system completely out of copper tube. There are 24 each posts made from 1-1/2" copper pipe and 1 inside corner post made from 3" copper pipe. Each tube had to be drilled thru to allow for the horizontal runs which are all 1/2" copper tube. Each post is attached to welded steel bracket that was built to allow for adjusting plumb. The brackets are fastened to the deck face with stainless steel lag bolts.

The top railing of 1-1/2" copper is not yet installed on part of the deck and is shown in one photo. This was a very labor intensive project but we will never have to touch it again for maintenance.

All the 1-1/2" copper and some of the 1/2" copper was all scrapped from jobs I have worked on so this is mostly a recycled deck railing system. There is over 700 feet of 1/2" copper and 220 feet of 1-1/2". The one 3" post is 4 feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz projects

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north

Nice job!
Personally, I don't like the looks in copper for railings, probably because my brain has too many imprints from other uses around the house, like flashing's, eves-troughs etc. Stainless Steel would have been my Joice.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 1:37AM
tridogdude

Thanks. Yeah, I really like stainless steel as well. I just have more access to copper and I have seen tons of stainless railing systems but not one like this out of copper.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 6:03PM
jcalhoun

Are you going to keep it polished or let turn green?

The green doesn't look bad when it uniform like the Statue of Liberty and courthouse roofs.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Help - Cast Aluminum furniture cracks (Pic)
Hi, (Cross posted originally on decor forum and posting...
homey_bird
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
metal lathe advice
I am hoping to be able to machine a few small aluminum...
mn1247
Sponsored Products
Easy Track Closet 72 in. White Vertical Panel - RV72 - 2180-1667
$76.48 | Hayneedle
Designer Chrome Flat Panel Heated Towel Rail 38.35 inch x 17.75 inch
Hudson Reed
Night Sky Down Brushed Nickel 7.6-Inch One Light Outdoor Wall Light Glass
$46.32 | Bellacor
WAC Lighting | Ingo Quick Connect Pendant Light
$257.50 | YLighting
Kube Outdoor Up/Down Wall Sconce
Lightology