Welders and Pacemakers

thawk1December 1, 2005

Hello Gentlemen,Last week I came home with a new Hobart 180mig welder.This week I came home with a shiny (I'm guessing)new Pacemaker complete with warning to keep it away(24")from a welding machine.

Anybody cross this bridge yet? If so I'd like to your thoughts.

thanks, Tim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not a doctor, but I'd say you only need to stay 24" away from the transformer. Since MIG is DC, I wouldn't think there is a problem with the arc itself. But the rapidly changing AC field surrounding the big step-down transformer will induce AC voltage in any nearby wires-something you don't want!

What's your doctor say?

    Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi, Benesesso.I would have thought that with so many seniors being active in so many areas,the pacemaker would be a common and easily overcome hurtle.
Guident,the manufacturer of the pacemaker gives general information as I stateded in my first post.24" from welder 12", from cordless tools ,6" from cell phones.
Being that I'm not dependant on the pacemaker for my heartbeat,I need it for a slight miss, I feel I can be a little cavilier and just be cautious with my use of equipement that might cause magnetic disturbances nearby.

    Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'd guess you'd be OK on that point as long as the action of being too close to a welder or welder arc didn't cause the pacemaker to fire off a shot to your heart. A friend of mine got a pacemaker a few years back, and it was set too high on the sensitivity. He'd be sitting in a living room chair, sort of dozing off, and the thing would give hime a poke. He got himself back to the doc in a hurry to get that corrected.


    Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 9:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'd find a new hobby.

    Bookmark   December 24, 2005 at 2:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Find another hobby! Quickly.

I have a Miller 175 and the instructions state anyone with an electrical implant shouldn't be anywhere near a welder. The electrical magnetic field that radiates from these welders is large. I distroyed several clocks in my garage and they were about 10 ft. from the welder. It wasn't until the 3rd one died, that I put 1 and 1 together. Clock is arcoss the garage, and it works fine!

    Bookmark   January 12, 2006 at 9:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Those doctors and manufacturers are only trying to cover their asses. Come here for the right information. How could you go wrong?

    Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Any electrical spark produces Radio Frequency energy across the entire known radio spectrum. This can be easily evidenced by seeing static on a TV or hearing it on a radio receiver in the near proximity of a spark.

In the early days of radio communications before they had tubes capable of high energy they actually used motor driven DC generators to produce a continuos spark across a spark gap. That was then turned on and off by means of a telegraphy key to transmit CW (Continuous Wave A1 type emmission which is commonly referred to as morse code).

The only one of those old "spark gap transmitters" that I have ever personally seen is in the American Radio Relay League, World Headquarters Museum at Newington,Ct. The use of spark gap transmitters was outlawed in the late 1930's by the Federal Communications Commission, however the same regulation that outlawed those transmitters still applies to any industrial device that produces sparks. In fact, the FCC can prohibit you from operating a welding rig in a residential area if it is causing TVI (Television Interference) or RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).

Understanding that pace makers should never be in a near proximity to a radio transmitter I would be very hesitant about going anywhere near a welder with a pacemaker.

Richard Rinard
General Class Amateur Radio Operator
Call sign KC8UXZ

    Bookmark   January 20, 2006 at 7:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Any electrical device that puts out a magnetic field is capable of erasing the program in the pacer. I assume you have your pacer checked over the phone....do you use the magnet that is supplied with the transmitter?.Also, the thing that looks like a mouse that is put on your chest when you have a pacer checkup is a magnet....you know how that makes your heart beats change?.... My sons doc advises staying away from the following.....Ham radios, magnets, cellphones ( if one is used, must be opposite ear from the pacer),the power transformer areas you see on a power line, certain microwaves, chainsaws, and believe it or not, metal detectors. The new pacers are sheilded alot better than the old ones, but I would check with your doc before you. Take care.

    Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Erasing the program is not the only problem.

You now hava a conductor in your body that goes directly in to the cardiac tissue.
When a conductor moves in a fixed magnetic field a current is produced.
If the field is an AC magnetic field it will produce current at even if stationary since the field is changing anyway.

Guess were the current will flow.

    Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 6:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 2:59PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
Copper sinks dont drain
I have a under mount copper sink installed in a granite...
HELP!! Patina off copper sink!
I love my copper sink with its dark patina but there...
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™