Thank you, Progresso Soups!

moonie_57February 22, 2013

Finally, a soup that my DH actually likes! And will eat and say how good it is! Yaaay!

Sometimes after a long day, who wants to cook? I really like for DH to have a good hearty meal so have tried a variety of easy to prepare foods. Unfortunately, he seems to have a much more developed palate than I do and does not like anything that falls under the category of processed/prepared/ready to eat. Until now. He has eaten 3 different varieties over the last couple of weeks and liked them all.

Life is good! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
YogaLady1948

I eat their Lentil one for a quick meal~~I like it;)

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:49PM
rob333

I was gonna say I used to eat their Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, and suggest it, but then I noticed the sodium content is rather high. Does taste good though!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: this review agrees with me to a T

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 1:16PM
nicole__

Dollar Tree sells them for $1!

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 2:12PM
cheri2008

I like the light progresso soups...especially the santa fe chicken, I am doing weight watchers, and the points are low...I have never found them at the dollar store...Wow would love that! I watch and stock up when they are on sale..

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 5:02PM
RuthieG__TX

I like a few of them but the chicken soups all have a weird taste to me....

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 5:31PM
bengardening

I had a bag of Shore Lunch chicken Noodle in the cupboard. I made it the other night. It was horrible. I think it was the tumeric in it that was too spicy for us. I don't understand why they think they have to put that much in there. I am writing to the company and see if I can get my money back. We couldn't eat it and there was no salvaging it.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 6:34PM
juellie1962

Not to sound like a soup snob, but I've never met a canned soup I liked. They taste tinny and the sodium is horrific.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 9:10PM
OklaMoni

Juellie, I also much prefer my own home made soups. I just make big batches, and freeze left over soup in single servings for later quick meals.

Moni

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 9:40PM
dedtired

I agree. Canned soup always tastes like the can, except condensed soups,which just taste awful.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 9:45PM
wantoretire_did

I'm not crazy about their soups, but they do make several gluten free soups that DH really likes and can eat. Even GF Cream of Mushroom that I can use for Golfers' Stew :-)

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 4:27AM
schoolhouse_gw

I agree, do not like canned soup but Progresso's chicken noodle with the big curly noodles is ok, been awhile since I had some tho. Canned soups are good to keep in the cupboard for when power outages occur.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:17AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I just cannot justify the sodium content in these soups. The (so called) lite, healthy, or low sodium versions are only a little bit better, BUT they add a lot of potassium chloride to replace the sodium chloride and I am one of the many who cannot tolerate the taste and after taste of that salt substitute.

So, I don't have any canned soups anymore. But, Robert always picks some out that he likes, in case he wants some for a quick supper and I haven't made anything. He really likes some of them.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:47AM
moonie_57

"...a soup snob..." LOL

DH and I had the salt content discussion today but now that I've found that he likes them and will happily eat them, I am not going to let salt stop me! :)

I have only eaten the soup twice and so far I have not noticed the can taste like some soups have. Maybe I will now, though. Gee, thanks. LOL

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:05PM
schoolhouse_gw

A little OT but I had to laugh when I sat down here and opened this thread again. For supper I had a bowl of Ramen Noodles. Nope, no sodium there. ha

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:41PM
juellie1962

lol, sorry moonie! To each their own, right? :) I wish I did like canned soup; it would save me a lot of time! I still prefer a cozy winter afternoon making soup!

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 9:54PM
jel48

I do love my own home made soup :-) But I grew up on canned soup so I like that too. We don't eat it often because of the sodium content though. Only when a super quick meal is needed, then we usually split a can.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:55AM
teresava

It is so nice to be able to have a hot meal very quickly! Sometimes I might pour the beef vegetable over rice or noodles for DH. So I usually have a few cans in the pantry, or even gasp frozen pizzas! Once in a while is fine.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:01PM
glenda_al

I so enjoy Campbells bean and bacon soup, plus their New England clam chowder.

No can taste to me! Ever!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:36PM
OklaMoni

I am home sick. No canned soup for me. I did a quick run to the store this morning, to get some food stuffs, and made some chicken noodle soup for lunch.

Sure wish, I had replenished my frozen supply since I was last sick.

Moni

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 5:05PM
moonie_57

glenda - I also like the bean with bacon but only about a third of the can, and then I don't like it reheated, so I seldom have it.

I had the chicken and corn chowder this evening and liked it, too. DH is preferring the vegetable beef, which at this rate he will soon grow tired of it. :)

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Why would a celll phone addict invite someone on an outing and then --
-- not tear themself away from their cell phone?
eclair
Beauty Blender Sponge
I wear foundation and came across a picture of a Beauty...
lucillle
TPMS vehicle tire system
TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, where one is...
lucillle
Friday/Weekend Trivia Quiz
When looking back on high school, just under HALF (46%)...
Jasdip
How Do You Report Spam?
Gardenweb had an easy method, but I can't find it on...
sylviatexas2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™