New Project -- Linley Vertical Jig Boring Machine w/ Pics

davidwczerrNovember 5, 2004

So I need another project like I need a hole in my head, but when you're at auction and you see something like this come up sometimes you just can't resist! I beleive it dates from the '30's or 40's and it is a vertical jig boring machine......or for me, a small milling machine. It needs some work, but not too much. The motor will have to be swapped, the machine cleaned and painted, and a belt guard/cover fabricated. The table travel is around 8" x 12" or so and everything is very tight, I don't think this machine saw very much use. I've taken it apart into 3 main sections and cleaned it up and oiled all the ways and sliding surfaces until I have time to work on it. I've wanted a small machine for quite a while, but don't like the idea of spending $1500 on a table top Tawainese machine, so this will fit the bill nicely.

I found a great website (http://www.lathes.co.uk/) that has a write up on these machines. Apparently about 900 lbs and orginally sold for over $3k......I paid $30 :-) Also shown is an 18" Tannewitz table saw that my father couldn't pass up. It went for just a little bit more than the Linley mill. BTW, the third pic is what it should look like when I'm done......

Does anyone have any experience with the Linley machines? Thoughts, tips, advice, etc is always appreciated. Thanks, David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
City_Dude

That looks like a project that would be hard to resist! If not so equiped I wonder if it would be practical to retrofit with an R8 spindle. kbeitz will probably be chiming in here soon, he's probably seen one of these before.

John

Bookmark   November 5, 2004 at 11:39PM
davidwczerr

John, I'm not sure what spindle type it is.......however I don't think they had R-8 back then. It does have an indexable boring head mounted in it currently, so who knows it may have been retrofitted. Or it could be a larger Morse Taper. Either way, my preliminary search into tooling indicated that I should be able to convert up to a more current standard if I want to (and can afford to do so!).

Thanks, David

Bookmark   November 6, 2004 at 9:24AM
mla2ofus

That looks like quite a good buy. On the belt guard, you could do some measuring and see if the guard for a drill press fits. If so it might save a lot of time fabbing one for it. It looks like it's in good shape, hope you don't hit any snags on it.
Mike A

Bookmark   November 6, 2004 at 6:21PM
kbeitz

Nope Kbeitz has none and seen none... But...
My brother bought a Bakery factory and your unit looks just like his doe-mixing machines with out the table... Maybe they was made by the same company...

Bookmark   November 7, 2004 at 8:43PM
dkeymaninusa_yahoo_com

my motor on the linley burn out i need a used motor in good condition please let me know they want 450 dollars for rewinding it i need help rafy sierra

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
Need basic information & resources re: stair rails
We need exterior stair rails and have just started...
lindyk
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™