Why does my torch flameout?

jeff_leitesNovember 18, 2009

I'm not a metal worker, but I thought someone here might be able to help. I have an old Benzomatic propane torch (maybe 30 years old). I rarely use it, but I needed it today to sweat come copper pipes. I have a new propane take on it. I'm using it out in the open, but sometimes after a few seconds, the flame goes out, and I have to light it again. There's plenty of gas coming out. What could the problem be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stan_in_pa

Does it go out when you tip it over to the point where the tank is on the downhill side of being level? I have this problem from time to time, and I believe it is due to the fact that propane torches are designed to operate when the fuel is entering the torch in gaseous form. Tipping too far over will cause liquid to flow from the tank into the valve body, causing the flame to go way rich, and extinguish itself.

This is only my guess, having experienced numerous flameouts with propane torches myself.

I believe the house rules here at GardenWeb discourge posting questions on multiple forums, but if you put on a fake mustache and a pair of dark glasses, you might be able to sneak this question onto the plumbing forum.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Need basic information & resources re: stair rails
We need exterior stair rails and have just started...
lindyk
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
soldering copper gutters
how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I...
kitchenquest
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
Bridget Helm
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™