Fireplace Screen Cleaning Help

barbbNovember 13, 2006

Boy I'm not sure I'm in the right place and if not perhaps someone can direct me.

We have an old free standing antique brass and wire fireplace screen that has been "damaged" by my wonderful cat who decided he wanted to mark it as his own. I am now left with this oh so attractive "marking" line running down the length of the screen. Silly me thought I could just 409 it away and all would be well. Not so---the stain is now whitish and I would so appreciate some input from anyone as to a way I could either clean this area so it'll blend into the other part of the undamaged screen or doing something to mask it. I'm afraid I just can't pop the old out and put a new in as this is one of those "fancy" ones with the medallion in the middle of the screen types.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

BarbB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adrander

YOU MIGHT TRY USING AM0NIA OR OTHER CLEANERS WITH AS NEAR THE MARKING AS POSSIBLE THEN PAINT THE SCREEN WITH HIGH TEMP PAINT.

Bookmark   December 19, 2006 at 8:26AM
barbb

Thanks Adrander so much for your reply. Well, I did try to clean it with everything I could think of, but as soon as it dries it goes back to the white streak. Think I'm just going to take it down to our local stove and sheet metal place who said they'd paint it for me. After that I'll have to find something that will deter him from repeating his action.

Thanks again,

BarbB

Bookmark   December 19, 2006 at 12:56PM
adrander

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 1:43PM
barbb

Thanks so much, carolina, for keeping my inquiry so long, and your answer. These are wonderful tips, and for all who have working fireplaces should be followed. I'm afraid ours is not a burning fireplace as in wood or gas. It's actually an electric fireplace and used very seldom. We have this antique firescreen in front of it all the time,but since it's been "damaged" by the cats, I just needed help in restoring it to how it was. I've tried just about everything, and not sure I want to paint it since I think that will just look a little strange. Afraid I will just have to replace the screen.

Thanks again for your reply,

BarbB

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Metal plant stands
How would you guys suggest making metal plant stands?...
caseyjones
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
Konrad___far_north
Laser cut blanks
Hello, Looking for place where one can order some laser...
allN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™