blacksmith/welding education

jill_hNovember 4, 2007

I am trying to help my son look for a blacksmith or welding shop that will permit him to practice his hobby when he returns from school. We live in the north Texas area. He does not want to enroll in a community college class. He has been educated in both areas, but wants to hone his skills "on his own time." Does anyone have any idea how to go about doing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodhors

Probably would be best if he invested in his own tools, which would allow him to work when he could. I know few shops that would allow him to drop by and work, if he wasn't taking a class, employed there. Insurance reasons. Using the materials, all cost money.

There is a lot of experience to be gained working with the guys in a welding shop. Learning the metals, settings of welders, torch, sticks, to get good, solid welds, cutting. One of the hard lessons young folks learn, is how MUCH the older folks already know. Would have, could have, saved lots of learning time, watching and learning from the experienced welders, blacksmiths. So many tricks, methods of handling metal, plus stuff you just can't short-cut. Alas, that old guy is soon gone, not available anymore, once the kid "gets smarter". My husband works metal, wishes some of those old guys were around to ask questions when he hits a snag.

Bookmark   December 8, 2007 at 12:02AM
green-zeus

There is a book called:"How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts" by William A. Cannon. It's a great little book that is still published that describes how to build a small foundry for melting scrap like aluminum, brass and zinc. He might find this of some use. It's real useful if you need to make a part for something like an antique car. It explains the mold process too. Hmm--could turn into a paying hobby,maybe.

If you do an internet search on this book in google,you'll find it.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 11:52AM
jill_h

Hey thanks! I'll have him check out this book.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 4:16PM
Zsartell_comcast_net

That definitely would be tough for a normal running shop to take extra time to teach anyone. I would contact your local Blacksmith association and ask of there are any hammer-ins that he could attend and maybe get some info and maybe even hands on experience there. Here in Michigan we have two smiths that have free forge time in there shops one night a week.

Here is a video of me forging a simple leaf Key Chain:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1701704/blacksmith_forging_a_leaf_key_chain/

There are a lot of videos like this online. They can give him a basic idea of how things work and when he finally gets to hit some hot steel he will be a little further off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blacksmith forging a Leaf Key Chain

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
Konrad___far_north
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Sponsored Products
Tom Dixon | Pipe Pendant Light
YLiving.com
Bridgeport Wall Light
LBC Lighting
Fiam | Paesaggi Side Table
YLiving.com
Blacksmith Patio Urn & Coco Liner
$49.99 | zulily
Eurostyle Frida Stackable Side Chair w/ Walnut Laminated Wood Shell [Set of 4]
Beyond Stores