Flan for a Group

jeriAugust 16, 2013

I've made the individual ramekins for a small gathering with great success. Now, I would like to make Flan for a party of 30. I was thinking of using 10" glass pie plates - would you agree with this approach? Do you think one 10 inch pie plate for would provide 10 nice slices?

The big question I have is the syrup that pools around the bottom of the flan after it is inverted. Serving individual ramekins means there will be plenty of this syrup for everyone. How does one insure this with a pie plate? Can you make extra syrup somehow and ladle a bit over each slice of flan on the plates?

As always - Thank you for all the help!

Jeri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

What about this? You could just make the extra caramel and pour, but I also thought this was an especially nice presentation for a crowd.

edited to change link. original one went with the photo, but directions seemed to make only a pie pan's worth. Here's one to bake in a 2 qt dish like the fluted one pictured:

Here is a link that might be useful: Party Flan

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 14:13

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 2:02PM
jimster

I think a round cake pan would be preferable to a pie plate.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Flan

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 4:48PM
compumom

I just saw a recipe somewhere...for flan in a souffle dish. I think I can find it later, let me know if you want it. The one pictured above is gorgeous!

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 6:00PM
arlinek

You certainly could make straight custard flan without the surrounding caramel sauce. Then, separately make the caramel sauce and refrigerate. Pour over each serving as presented or pour over the entire inverted custard . That's how a local "gourmet" store sells it: custard with the separate sauce poured over.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:19AM
Islay_Corbel

Here, we make big crème caramels! Use a souffle dish or a pretty one like above.

For 4-6 people :
5 fl oz milk
1/2 pint cream
4 large eggs
1 1/2 oz soft brown sugar
1 tbls water
4 oz white sugar
vanilla essence
Put the white sugar in a pan and heat until it melts and becomes a uniform brown colour. Take the pan off the heat and gently add the water. Pour into the base of your dish.
Put milk and cream into a pan and heat gently while you whisk together the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
When the milk/cream is steaming, pour it onto the eggs whisking then pour over the caramel. Place dish in roasting pan and pour cold water round the dish. Bake at 150ðc for about 1 hour. Chill.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:00AM
jeri

Thanks everyone!

Wow OlyChick! That sure is a good looking Flan!

I ran a test with a pie plate - I wanted to make it 3 days in advance to be sure that would work too. We just enjoyed it last night. The good news was there was plenty of sauce to go around! I guess this should not surprise me as I used the same recipe I had for the individual flans, so there should be the same amount of sauce, but I just didnâÂÂt think it through I guess.

The pie plate was less than ideal because it was too shallow. This made it difficult to get into the water bath and made a mess when inverted.

For this event, I will be going with the suggested cake pan even though IâÂÂm sure a souffle dish would work too. :-)

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
25th Birthday Review
Hi everyone, My 25th birthday was a very special one,...
moonwolf_gw
roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and onions
Son has requested this for Easter dinner. Would love...
glenda_al
Tried And True "Edible" Brownie Recipe? (Where Legal)
Here is a cooking question, more specifically a baking...
johnliu_gw
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group 2-light Small Rounded Faux Alabaster Wall Sconce
Overstock.com
Alyssa Outdoor Ottoman with Cushion
Grandin Road
Moroccan Mares Wrapped Canvas
$16.99 | zulily
Christopher Knight Home Outdoor Black Wicker Nested Tables (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Justice Design Group FAL-8523 - Tradition 3 Light Bath Bar - Round Flared Shade
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group POR-8975 - Bend 2 Light Wall Sconce - Oval Shade - Dark Bro
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Chintaly Nerida Curio Cabinet - FLAIR-CUR
Hayneedle
Arendal Pendant in Aqua Tint
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™