Waterproof sealant for rusted metal?

BellefoliageNovember 5, 2004

Have a rusted metal outdoor object that I would like to keep as is. (No further rusting but preserving the finish as it is now.) Would prefer a sealant/finish that is matte, not shiny, and obviously waterproof. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
modre

pine sap?

Bookmark   November 5, 2004 at 6:37AM
mla2ofus

I found an excellent product. It is sold by NAPA auto parts and is called "NAPA Rust Treatment". Item # 765-1232. I've used it on old rusty metal I've wire brushed, but wanted to retain the "old" look. It works fantastic even when submerged in water. It dries clear and has a dull finish. Hope this helps.
Mike A.

Bookmark   November 5, 2004 at 8:39AM
Bellefoliage

Many thanks Mike - will give it a try.

Bookmark   November 11, 2004 at 8:48AM
spambdamn_rich

You could try Rustoleum Red Primer. It has fish oil in it, and actually works quite well in penetrating existing rust and preventing additional rusting.

You'll want to brush off loose rust, apply a good coat of red primer, and then let it dry for a couple of weeks. Longer in cold weather. Once it's hard to the touch, it can be painted with a good oil-based enamel.

Don't remove all the rust - the primer needs rust for the oil to penetrate. Otherwise, there will be a slick of oil on top of the primer, which could make top-coating difficult. However, I've had good luck by wiping down dried primer with a degreaser and had the top coat stick just fine.

The Rustoleum Red Primer contains no lead, although early red primers had red lead oxide in them.

Bookmark   November 20, 2004 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
soldering copper gutters
how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I...
kitchenquest
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
Metal plant stands
How would you guys suggest making metal plant stands?...
caseyjones
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™