Antiquing polished brass door handles?

percheronOctober 18, 2005

I bought polished brass door handles - Baldwin for the exterior, Marvin Windows' handles for the interior - when I started building our French style house 1 1/2 years ago. Since I have chosen many bronze antiques and oil-rubbed bronze fixtures, the polished brass handles will not blend in.

How do I antique the handles? One is already on the door, but the others have not been installed yet on our unfinished house.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss_marble

My cabinet finisher did a sample of this for me on a cabinet knob. He roughed the knob up with some sandpaper (it was very fine grade, and the kind that is a sheet but has a spongy feel), then he took some of the glaze he was using on our cabinets (it's his own concoction but as far as I can tell, it's sort of like a very runny stain, and is definitely oil based) and sort of dry-brushed it on. Just dipped the tips of a nice big natural bristle brush in the glaze, then dried them off a bit, and then just touch touch touch all over the knob till he achieved the look. It was absolutely amazing, he made a much too shiny satin nickel knob look like an antique pewter knob. This will work with brass too. He said he was going to put two coats of spray lacquer on it.

Another possibility is to send it to a metal replating place. We have one here. They can coat it to be any color and finish you want. They told me it would be $8-15 PER PIECE! That's a lot when you're talking over 50 cabinet knobs and pulls. Let me know if you'd like their name, I don't know if they work long-distance.

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
percheron

Thanks for the great idea. We have some metal plating places here - and I will definitely look into this!

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
Metal plant stands
How would you guys suggest making metal plant stands?...
caseyjones
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
Bridget Helm
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™