Painting a wrought iron railing (Indoor)

nickadelOctober 25, 2005

I have a wrought iron staircase railing that was originally painted white. I want to paint it Black. Can I just paint over it with Black, or do I have to strip the white paint, primer it, then paint it Black? What kind of paint do I use?

I want to do the most time-saving and cleanliest job possible since we have new carpet and wood flooring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Paint on wrought iron tends to chip. With black over white, the defects will stand out visually. You can prevent this from happening if you remove the wrought iron railing, and get it sand-blasted to remove all the white paint. The black finish should be applied professionally, using the toughest coating available. This would be done in a paint booth, at a shop that does commercial painting. They would probably use a two part urethane that is resistant to chipping.

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 12:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowanda

I have lots of wrought iron, and this is what I found to be the most effective. I use wire wheel attachments on my cordless drill to take off any rust, obvious chipping and other rough patches, sand lightly with a sandpaper foam block (it forms better to the different kinds of surfaces) to rough up the painted surface, dust and clean well, then paint with a good primer and three top coats.

I use Rustoleum in the spray cans, but I my iron is mostly outside. The spray cans are more expensive and messy, but I cannot duplicate the smooth surface no matter what kind of brush I use.

I have also used spray paint indoors, but only after constructing an elaborate "tent" from boxes and plastic bags, and opening all the windows and covering everything within reach. Using spray paint this way would be the most timeconsuming part of the process, but worth a test run on a small section and comparing it with a handpainted section.

If you decide to handpaint it, foam brushes work best. I use the new kind that are pads with a silky "fur" on the top...they make small ones meant for window sashes, but it can be time consuming and you can go through a lot of pads (they're cheap though).

And if the new paint chips or rusts, it's a simple matter to touch up with a little sandpaper and paint.

Hope this helps.

PS: Also use plenty of protection -- My house was built in the 60s, and I bought it from the guy who built it, who left me every paint can he ever used on/in the house, so I have no lead paint.

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
Laser cut blanks
Hello, Looking for place where one can order some laser...
allN
Help - Cast Aluminum furniture cracks (Pic)
Hi, (Cross posted originally on decor forum and posting...
homey_bird
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
Sponsored Products
Lincoln Antique Copper One-Light Hanging Lantern
$378.00 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Satori Purple 9 ft. x
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Accent Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Boca Raton
$42.97 | Home Depot
Finn Rug 10' x 14' - CHOCOLATE
$3,449.00 | Horchow
Barcelona BA45 Ivory and Blue Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$63.36 | Bellacor