what type of metal and how to restore it?

cateyanneOctober 10, 2006

I am restoring a 1940's home. the metal door hardware is really dark and I want to polish it to original luster. I have glass or crystal knobs with brass connectors(these clean up easily)but the plate is a different metal. It is in an art deco design, fan shape. It seems to be a thin pressed plate so I am presuming it is not brass, the back is a grayish brown color. the front has lots of little lines and grooves in it but I was able (after alot of elbow grease!) to uncover a brassy spot. Should I assume these are brass plated? My concern is if they are only plated, will I be damaging them with all the rubbing this will take to bring back the brass shine? I don't believe I could even hand rubb all these, they are really tough. Is there a tried and true methoid of restoring this metal? could I be doing something wrong? Anybody have any experience with this? thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
junkmanme

Just a guess.....

You might go to your local pharmacy and purchase some powdered ascorbic acid (vitamin C, like oranges). Use this as a mild acid to clean the piece. You can start out very dilute and see how it goes... (you mix the powder with water to your desired strength). If you start with a very diluted solution (and considerable patience), you should not damage the metal at all. Then you can see what you might have.....perhaps.
GOOD LUCK,
Bruce (Junkmanme)

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 8:59PM
cateyanne

Thanks junkmanme; is this a scrub or a soaking solution?

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 8:57AM
benco

You may be dealing with either a brass or a bronze. Either one can be cleaned by the method junkmanme suggested. If you want the metal to shine when done you can polish it with "Brasso" a commercial brass polish found at most hardware stores. I would recommend that you coat the polished metal with a clear gloss laquer to prevent the metal from tarnishing again.

Thanks

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
soldering copper gutters
how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I...
kitchenquest
Need basic information & resources re: stair rails
We need exterior stair rails and have just started...
lindyk
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™