I'd love your opinions ~ new construction
Though I have posted on the Building and Smaller Homes Forums, this is my first post here. My husband and I, along with our three year old daughter, are building our home in western NC. The goal for our home is for it to be simple and efficient, made with healthy materials, and we'd like a great inside/outside connection. The top of the plan is oriented south to take advantage of passive solar heating and mountain views.
I would really appreciate your thoughts on the plan for our new kitchen. We are avid cooks, preparing 99%+ of our meals at home. We also bake frequently.
I've included our full plan (so you can see can see how the kitchen relates to the rest of our home) and a close-up of the kitchen with further details below.
- I know the sink directly across from the stove is not often recommended ("one butt kitchen"), however, I'm wondering what would be considered enough aisle space to allow for "two butts" to be comfortable?
2. We are planning on all drawers in the base cabinets.
3. Food items will be stored in the pantry cabinet closest to the dining room. Non-food items will be stored in the pantry cabinet closest to the hallway.
4. We have debated back and forth about whether the pantry cabinets should swap places with the refrigerator and wall oven on each end respectively??
5. We do plan to have seating on the far side of the island (with space for the stools to be tucked underneath).
6. One big concession with this kitchen location is not being able to receive direct morning light. Do you think enough will be had by the sliders on the east side in the dining room? We are also considering a solatube for the kitchen.
7. The rectangle across the hallway from the island is an office nook/"command center." This will house all of our office supplies, the phone, printer, bulletin board, etc. Our daughter will have the option of doing schoolwork here, at the island, or at the dining table.
8. The bedroom off the kitchen (with the french doors) will be utilized as a playroom for now. As cooking is a big part of our daily family life, when our daughter opts not to help (she usually loves to!), she will have the opportunity to play (and we'll be able to supervise!).
9. We do not want a microwave.
- Our style is... simple, clean lines, natural... We are planning on having light stained cabinets (maybe birch, maple, ash, white oak...?), with white counters and appliances. Hardware, canopy vent hood, and toe kick will all be stainless steel. We are hoping to have a back painted glass backsplash. Floors will be concrete and the walls and ceilings will be white.
A general inspiration pic (having trouble finding something that encompasses all that is in my head!):
Thanks in advance for any feedback!