Antique Brass spray paint?

borisfSeptember 5, 2006

We are in the process of refurbishing the 90+ year old heat vent covers in our house. They are cast iron and had a tremendous amount of dirt/grime and paint on them. We had them sandblasted and would now like to paint them. We're shooting for an antique brass color but can't seem to find anything that looks classy and understated.

We tried Rustoleum's Burnished Brass Metallic but this was too yellow and had a 70's like sparkly finish. The guy at the Lowes paint aisle said that anything labeled "Metallic" would have that look.

We did a couple of grates using Burnished Silver from PlastiKote and those turned out really well. Unfortunately they don't make anything in a brass-tone in their "Classic Metals" line.

Any recommendations?

P.S. We thought about re-plating them but estimates have been about $150 per grate and that's out of our budget right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

Go to a craft store. You may not be able to find what you are looking for in a spray paint, but you will find any type of metal finish paint you can imagine, even actual brass paint that you can patina to make it antique.

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 1:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffinmonterey

I don't know if this is practical, but I found at a paint store, some 'sign' paint for painting gold letters. It was available in antique gold, roman gold, bright gold, etc. You might try this type of idea. I don't know if it will take the heat though.

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™